Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small box for granddaughter

Small box for granddaughter

I practiced my hand cut dovetails and letter carving with this little box. My granddaughter wanted it for her and her fiancés wedding letters. The top is Sapele with Ebony inlay. The body is another exotic I had in my stock. I am not sure what it is. The liner is White Pine.
    Charlie Jones

A nice effort ,be sure to sign it. May they live long and prosper!

Really nice box, Charlie. I like, "EST" 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    I practiced my hand cut dovetails and letter carving with this little box. My granddaughter wanted it for her and her fiancés wedding letters. The top is Sapele with Ebony inlay. The body is another exotic I had in my stock. I am not sure what it is. The liner is White Pine.
    Very nice! I think you've just made an heirloom. I really like the white liner - such a contrast to the outside, looks bright and inviting, perhaps a bit of surprise when opening for the first time.

Did you carve the letters with chisels or with a chip-carving knife? I haven't tried chip carving sapele.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Very nice! I think you've just made an heirloom. I really like the white liner - such a contrast to the outside, looks bright and inviting, perhaps a bit of surprise when opening for the first time.

Did you carve the letters with chisels or with a chip-carving knife? I haven't tried chip carving sapele.
    I used a Flexcut palm V chisel. The Sapele carves pretty easy.
    Charlie Jones

Wow...beautiful work and I'm sure that your granddaughter will cherish it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice box.
    I thought the inscription was CNC.
    Fantastic job hand carving the lettering, color me impressed and jealous of your skills.

Very nicely done Charlie. Great carving. And I too like the white liner. Makes the whole thing pop.
    Nothing more satisfying than making something the grandkids with have for a long, long time. Let's us stick around after we're gone.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Well done sir. My favorite projects are those I do for a loved one.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Charlie Jones

That is real nice...........she will keep it forever!

Beautiful job Charlie.

The box is really nice. My daughter has asked for boxes to give her wedding party in June. You have given me additional inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I apologize for the horrible photography. I need to do better than snapshots in the shop with an Iphone.
    Charlie Jones

Photographing things

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    I apologize for the horrible photography. I need to do better than snapshots in the shop with an Iphone.
    The camera, iPhone or not, is not as important as the lighting and background. For small things I use a simple home-made photo "cube" and some people use pop up photo cube/tent like this: https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-2090-.../dp/B000UCEUQI

This is the one I made for almost nothing. The thin white cloth diffuses the light. I use a piece of mat board from the framing store bent into a curve at the back for a continuous background. The mat board is light or darker grey or tan depending on the look I want.

photo_cube.jpg

I made this from PVC pipe and fittings so it comes apart easily. the side panels are glued up PVC and have the cloth held on with safety pins. The cross pieces are removable. I sit it on my table saw in the shop or on the table in the house.

Two lights, one on either side, sometimes a small light at the from for a highlight. To prevent conflicting color temperatures turn off all other lights in the room and shade the windows. Once the lighting is good the little point and shoot snapshot camera works fine as does the phone. I usually use it with a Canon DSLR which is easier to control. Always use a tripod if possible. For long shutter speeds to prevent camera shake it's best to use a shutter release cable or the self-timer.

Some example photos:

acrylic_ornament_green_bell.jpg handmirrors_two.jpg gavels.jpg BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-07-2018 at 8:00 AM.