Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using domino joints on outdoor elevated planter box

Re: 500 vs. 700.

You can try experimenting with the 500 with wider shop made tenons with mortises cut on the wider setting, or even overlapping mortise cuts as an option too where more strength is required and you possibly don't want to stack your dominos. You don't get more than the 28mm depth, but you can make a beefier joint that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    Re: 500 vs. 700.

You can try experimenting with the 500 with wider shop made tenons with mortises cut on the wider setting, or even overlapping mortise cuts as an option too where more strength is required and you possibly don't want to stack your dominos. You don't get more than the 28mm depth, but you can make a beefier joint that way.
    You can also use your stops to make 2-3 passes in the same mortise to make a wider mortise if you're making your dominos. The stops used would be indexing on the opposite end of the mortise you would be cutting - if that makes sense.

Hi,
    I don't agree that you "need" the bigger Domino machine (or either Domino machine for that matter). If you get the smaller 500 machine, you could simply do multiple dominos and achieve the same or more glue surface area of a single larger or deeper domino. In many instances double tenons are used in furniture for increased strength for this reason. Or wider mortises for shop made dominos as mentioned above. I'd say the loose tenon approach and a good water resistant glue is more than enough for a project like this.

If you're a purist craftsman, the idea of drawboring without glue or through tenons with wedging is very appealing also. Necessary? Maybe not.

My 2 cents-glue won't work on planter boxes. I am a landscape architect and contractor and during the summer, planter boxes get irrigated every day. The whole concept is get everything wet, then let it dry out, repeat. Over and over. Planter boxes need mechanical fastening.

Actually, wooden planter boxes represent a fairly difficult design challenge...

Quality planter boxes will be lined (copper comes to mind, but galvanized would work) with provision for drainage. Minimize soil to wood contact to ensure longevity of the box. A 3' x 6' box will need some cross brace provision in the middle to keep the sides from bowing out. It can be hidden under the soil surface and I've had good luck with galvanized all thread. If you minimize soil contact the Sipo dominoes should work for you.

Blog Entries
    What is the best method to put tenons on long boards? I have a local wood shop I can employ if the tooling is too expensive for me.

I'm willing to spend about $1400 ish on new tooling. I don't have a plunge router or a nice wood vice. So if using M&T's, I'm already down to $1100 ish.

Thanks and cheers,

Edit: I guess I could use my table saw, lay the piece horizontal and use my dado blades.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 11-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.