Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the Lathe - now what?

Got the Lathe - now what?

<p>
    Hi folks, I have a Laguna 18-36 revo on the way. I am wondering what are the tools and other accessories I need to get started. I&#39;m hoping to focus more on bowl turning for now and am taking a class at the NBSS in a couple weeks. I would ideally like to shop with my own tools and get comfortable with them. I already have a Tormek, but no turning accessories. I also have a high speed grinder with a woolverine attachment. please recommend - a good starting complement of tools. I generallylike to buy stuff that is quality, and not throwaway. But I&#39;m willing to consider starter kit if there is a compelling argument/availability for that. thank you so much for your help in consideration!</p>

Definitely worth buying a few Thompson tools right out of the gate. However, watch some YouTube videos on proper sharpening.
    Get a nice bowl gouge
    Get a variety of scrapers

And have fun!!!!

Ashwini, getting the lathe is the easy part, deciding what to get next is a hard question to give a proper answer to. But deciding what type and brand of turning tools you like and want/need, would be a good place to start off with. Then what size and brand of chuck to get, plus what type of chuck jaws you'll need. But before you purchase any of these tools, you should get some instructions on how to turn properly and safely. Then practice practice practice, after that, you should purchase whatever tools you feel you need to turn, whatever it is that you want to turn.
    Len

Good face shield, 3/8" Bowl gouge, a parting tool a round nose scraper, a good wheel on your grinder or the turning accessories for your Tormek, and a chuck with 50mm jaws. You can add accessories after that. Your Laguna should come with a faceplate. Folks are sold on Thompson tools, I've got mostly Sorby and P&N and few Hurricane tools (scrapers). I'd maybe pick up a cheap HSS gouge to practice sharpening on, though the Wolverine is pretty fool-proof. I think you'll get a lot of opinions, but you sound like you have a lot of the basics. Get a good face shield though!
    USMC '97-'01

Congrats on a super lathe!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    get moe money ed

Don't worry about the tools and accessories--if you turn on the lathe you will be knee deep in them very soon--like Ed say--find money.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Ashwini, getting the lathe is the easy part, deciding what to get next is a hard question
    Len
    Len - I am fast realising this!

Ordered a couple of books. Reading as much as I can.
    Had I known this before - might never have ordered the lathe to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Good face shield, 3/8" Bowl gouge, a parting tool a round nose scraper, a good wheel on your grinder or the turning accessories for your Tormek, and a chuck with 50mm jaws. You can add accessories after that. Your Laguna should come with a faceplate. Folks are sold on Thompson tools, I've got mostly Sorby and P&N and few Hurricane tools (scrapers). I'd maybe pick up a cheap HSS gouge to practice sharpening on, though the Wolverine is pretty fool-proof. I think you'll get a lot of opinions, but you sound like you have a lot of the basics. Get a good face shield though!
    Is this a good FS? https://www.amazon.com/Bionic-Shield...s=wood+turning
    Should I get the fog coating or skip?

Ordered Benjamins Best set for practice and to get started.

I have the standard norton blue wheel on the grinder; do I need something like this ? http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/h...x1x-5-80-grit/

And wont the lathe come with any chuck? Any recommendations?

Thanks John!

Working on the moe money part - though the more time will be harder to get!

That's the face shield I got after many good recommendations. I would get the fog proofing. I didn't and regret it. Do you neeeeed a CBN wheel? No. Will you want one eventually? My money is on yes. That's a whole other can of worms though.....
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwini Kaul View Post
    ...the more time will be harder to get!
    That is the problem many of us have. I envy friends who are in the shop every day. I'm lucky to get once a week and often less.

Remember, if you are like most people I've met, you will not be sorry you dropped your wallet in this whirlpool. Think of it as life enrichment.

JKJ

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That is the problem many of us have. I envy friends who are in the shop every day. I&#39;m lucky to get once a week and often less. Remember, if you are like most people I&#39;ve met, you will not be sorry you dropped your wallet in this whirlpool. Think of it as life enrichment. JKJ
    I like that .... life enrichment! So for the grinder I have a variable speed delta but it has 6 in wheels. I dont use it usually unless a tool is badly out of shape. Should I get the CBN wheels for that or get something like a Rikon 80-808 and get 8 inch (80-180) CBN set?</p>
    <p>
    Or skip all that and get the Tormek Turners package which isnt cheap either - but it surely cuts slowly!</p>
    Last edited by Ashwini Kaul; 11-28-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwini Kaul View Post
    <p>
    I like that .... life enrichment! So for the grinder I have a variable speed delta but it has 6 in wheels. I dont use it usually unless a tool is badly out of shape. Should I get the CBN wheels for that or get something like a Rikon 80-808 and get 8 inch (80-180) CBN set?</p>
    <p>
    Or skip all that and get the Tormek Turners package which isnt cheap either - but it surely cuts slowly!</p>
    From my experience I would start out with the Rikon. To me it would be a progression to go to the Tormek. Just opinion. CBN is definitely a step up, but can be added. As far as tools I kind of wish I started with Thompson or D-Wayne my frequently used tools. IMO they are excellent, but there are other high end tool that may be as good. However I also have many Sorby, Henery Taylor, Hamlet and other name brand tools. They are good. Then I have the Hurricane, Harbor Freight, and Benjamin's Best. The Harbor Freight have been mostly reground into speciality tools. I'm not a carbide tool user. For tools you will use constantly get the high end. For occasional use get good or less expensive tools. Tools are an accumulation over time. I'm still adding.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Before your budget has all been spent on tools and such, be sure to get a decent respirator system first. You can make one or two well chosen tools perform many different functions but your lungs only do one...keep them healthy.