Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router dust collection

Router dust collection

I'm ready for a new router and thinking about dust collection.

I'm looking at the DeWalt DW618PK, which has a dust collection port on the plunge base, but not on the fixed base.

Question 1: Can I use the plunge base for an ordinary dado or rabbet, so that I can use the dust collection?

Question 2; Is there a good alternative in a mid-sized router that includes dust collection (at a reasonable price, you greenies.)

I'm a hobbyist, graduating from a cheap entry level router. I like the idea of two bases, 1/2 and 1/4 collets, and speed control.

Thanks.

1) Yes.

2) I have a Makita RF1101

The DC is okay with that. I don't know how it compares to the Dewalt, but I would look at it.

I have a Festool 1010 router too which smokes it on DC. If you can at all swing it, and DC is important, it's worth looking at.

Yes, the DeWalt 618PK is a good router and very versatile, and you can use the plunge base in place of the fixed base. You just set the depth a little differently, and you can leave it plunged and locked if you really want the effect of a fixed base router. I have three 618 routers, one is the two base package and I have two of the three base version. In the three base package you get the contents of the two base package plus a D handle base which is a fixed base, but with a D handle and trigger switch. I've found the D handle base to be very comfortable to use because the handle gives me more control. I frequently use the D bases when using my Leigh D4R and FMT Pro jigs. It would be nice if they offered a vacuum accessory for the 618 fixed and D handle bases like the one available for the DW611 fixed base, but I doubt they ever will. I also have the 611 two base router package with the dust accessories for both bases and even though it only takes 1/4" bits I find that I prefer it for lighter work because of it's light weight and balance, even over my DeWalt laminate trimmer. I have 11 routers total and most are other brands, but the DeWalt 611 and 618 routers are the ones that get used the most.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 11-27-2017 at 9:33 AM.

The Dewalt plungers can be used for all variety of work so if they are the right choice for you economically, then you can use them for whatever and leverage their built-in dust collection. This applies to the "kit" version as well as the fixed configuration machine with the dust port.

That said, dust collection with a router "isn't so simple" and there's a reason that the OF1010 and OF1400 have multiple methods of collection available, depending on the particular operation one is doing. Yes, they cost a bit more up-front and that's a very important consideration. I honestly do pull them out more often than my Dewalt routers because of that dust collection as well as their "feel". And when I do use my Dewalt 718, it's most often with the fixed base for stability on a dovetail jig or similar where I'm more comfortable holding a "shorter" tool for the operation. And then I clean up afterward... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another option is to take a look at Oneidas new universal dust free router hood.

Oneidas website says it will fit the Dewalt 618.
    Last edited by Jeremy Treibs; 11-27-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Charles how do you use a fixed base with a fmt?

Thanks, guys. That's what I needed to know.

I didn't realize the DeWalt combos have dust collection on the plunge base. That's a good tip. I was thinking of the 621 to get dust collection but the combo 616 and 618 are cheaper and you then have the fixed base too. I would probably do the 616 for ~$180 before I would the 618 for ~$205. I don't think you'd notice 1 amp difference in power. My mid-sized are a couple PC690s with 4 bases and they work fine - but have no provision for dust collection.

Not sure I will ever pull the trigger, however. Dust collection on a router is not going to be good enough to use it inside and in the shop, sweeping up isn't that bad. Maybe.

Anyone have the Oneida universal router hood? If so what is your opinion of it?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I don't. I have no idea why I said that, but have been using my D4R more than the FMT recently and I usually use the D Handle bases for that. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Charley

The Dewalt routers mentioned are good solid routers and will do everything you want, but the dust collection is only average in my opinion. I have a 3-base set with the plunge, fixed, and D-handle included. While I know the OP doesn't want to buy Festool, the Festool routers are the only routers I have ever used where essentially all dust is collected. Since I bought the Festool OF1400 I don't use any other routers for the most part.

Triton also makes a great plunge router with, I think, better dust collection than the Dewalt routers.

I have no experience with the Oneida dust collection collar, but it would have to improve dust collection a lot to beat Festool routers.

Bosch GOF 1600 CE has a descent DC. I have never used any other router with DC features so I cannot compare it with alternatives.

Dust collection on a router is a hit-or-miss thing at best. You can get excellent results in some cases(like a mortise where the cut length doesn't go past the edge of the base), pretty good collection on dadoes and grooves, and anywhere from non-existent to halfway-decent on edge profiling(depending on what you want to put on the router that always seems to hang up on a corner or get in your way). And then there's the vac hose, where it's attached and how it's supported to consider. And let's not forget the little pieces you have to put in to surround the bit(and take out to change the bit) so the DC works as advertised.

The main issue is that you have a tool running at high speed with a fan that takes in room air at the top, moves it over the motor for cooling and expels it at the working end. These fans move a lot of air turning at 20K+ RPM so anything you hook up for dust collection obviously has to move more air than the tool expels with enough to spare to bring the chips along with it. I've never seen any airflow specs on router motors but, for the sake of argument, let's say X router blows 80 CFM through the motor. So if you have a vac that sucks 100 CFM(and let's skip how those specs are derived) you have positive suction and dust and chips will be collected as long as we have a sealed system(like a mortise that's covered by the router base and a router with reasonable dust guards).

Moving on to grooves and dadoes and now the bit is throwing chips down an open pathway, once our sealed system goes past the router base then the vac needs to move more air to collect chips. Maybe our theoretical 20 CFM advantage will be enough, maybe not, I'm not an engineer and I don't know how to figure the numbers. In my experience this is difficult with sketchy results even with the best tools. Edge routing collection is even tougher, you have a bit trying to throw stuff everywhere outside the closed system, adding a dust shroud below the base helps confine the chips but then you have to deal with that getting in the way and you need more suction from the vac.

It depends on what your objectives are: If you want to collect the fine dust that does the most damage to you then anything you can do to hook up your router to a shop vac is better than nothing. If you don't want to have to sweep the shop floor after profiling the edge on your dining table you're pretty much SOL.

Don't forget the ergonomics, if the vac connection makes the router harder to use you won't want to use it. I use hooks in the ceiling to hang the hose over the bench and I've found that vertical connections are easiest to use, I don't like the added drag of a hose across my work. YMMV.

I haven't used the 618 so can't comment. The 621 is an excellent all-round choice with built-in DC, it's my go-to router with the PW base. The Bosch kits for the 1617 and MRC-23 have optional DC parts but they exhaust horizontally which I don't particularly care for. The handle you can buy for the P-C 893 works pretty good but not as well as the 621. You said you weren't interested in the green'n'black tools but I find the hose gets in the way with the 1400 and 1010 routers. I love the collection on the OF 2200, the drop-down shroud combined with the top connection makes the router a joy to use(along with a lot of other features) but it's a bit beyond your price point.

There's no perfect solution for dust collection on a router, it's a compromise between efficiency, how it effects use of the tool and how much you want to pay.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-29-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I didn't realize the DeWalt combos have dust collection on the plunge base. That's a good tip. I was thinking of the 621 to get dust collection but the combo 616 and 618 are cheaper and you then have the fixed base too. I would probably do the 616 for ~$180 before I would the 618 for ~$205. I don't think you'd notice 1 amp difference in power. My mid-sized are a couple PC690s with 4 bases and they work fine - but have no provision for dust collection.

Not sure I will ever pull the trigger, however. Dust collection on a router is not going to be good enough to use it inside and in the shop, sweeping up isn't that bad. Maybe.
    One thing to remember is that the 616 is a single speed router, 1 3/4 hp vs 2 1/4 ( for the 618) and it doesn’t have soft start. I believe Dewalt is having $25 off all tools over $100 through 12/24/17 too.
    War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Conerly View Post
    I'm ready for a new router and thinking about dust collection.

I'm looking at the DeWalt DW618PK, which has a dust collection port on the plunge base, but not on the fixed base.

Question 1: Can I use the plunge base for an ordinary dado or rabbet, so that I can use the dust collection?

Yes, you can start a dado or a rabbett, off with a plunge if desired. Just make sure you have the correct bit, with bottom cutters.

Question 2; Is there a good alternative in a mid-sized router that includes dust collection (at a reasonable price, you greenies.)
    It would have to be after market, or something you made yourself. I used to bungee cord the vac attachment with a 90 degree plumbing elbow to my Porter Cable router. Not pretty, but it actually did;t work half bad.
    You will end up with many routers if you continue wood working,it's just the nature of the work. Changing bits introduces inaccuracies, so it becomes easier and more efficient to have routers that are complimenting each other for a task, such as cutting dovetails with a jig. One for tails, one for pins.
    I have 7 routers, and have burned up three others over the years. I know that no one wants to hear it, but the Festool OF2200 is far and away the best router I have ever had in my hands. I also have an OF 1400, but I use the OF2200 more often. Festool bites the wallet hard, but their routers are worth the extra $$$$ over the long term.

I'm a hobbyist, graduating from a cheap entry level router. I like the idea of two bases, 1/2 and 1/4 collets, and speed control.

Cheap routers will lead to nothing but frustration, mistakes, and re-work. Spend the $$$$ for quality router and you won't regret it in 5 years.

Thanks.
    That's my 2 cents fwiw. The DeWalts are very nice routers. (If I didn't have Festool's, I'd have DeWalt's), If you can achieve a level of dust collection you're comfortable with, they're solid performers.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-30-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)