Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question: can I replace a stud using pocket holes instead of toe nails?

I wish you had built my house... The one square corner in it is the wall I put up. My inner carpenter said a lot of things that cannot be repeated about the builders and their compound angles in the corners.

You guys are overthinking this...just use some 3 or 3 1/2" deck screws and toe-screw them in place of nailing and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    You guys are overthinking this...just use some 3 or 3 1/2" deck screws and toe-screw them in place of nailing and call it a day.
    Exactly.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I agree except that I think drywall screws are fine. They are not high grade steel and are not rated for structural use but, as has been stated, this purpose is not structural, it is to locate the stud. I have used 2.5 or 3 inch drywall screws for this many times. I built my kitchen island with 3 inch drywall screws through the top and bottom plates. I wanted to be able to adjust it if the boss didn't like the shape. The top wall holds up a granite bar top including 12 inch steel braces screwed to the top plate. The granite installer liked the screws and said they have seen nails pull out. In this case, my drywall screws do see some load but they also function just fine. I have broken drywall screws driving them in before too. But at the price I continue to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I agree except that I think drywall screws are fine. They are not high grade steel and are not rated for structural use but, as has been stated, this purpose is not structural, it is to locate the stud. I have used 2.5 or 3 inch drywall screws for this many times. I built my kitchen island with 3 inch drywall screws through the top and bottom plates. I wanted to be able to adjust it if the boss didn't like the shape. The top wall holds up a granite bar top including 12 inch steel braces screwed to the top plate. The granite installer liked the screws and said they have seen nails pull out. In this case, my drywall screws do see some load but they also function just fine. I have broken drywall screws driving them in before too. But at the price I continue to use them.
    Use GRK Torx drive screws or the equivalent and you will never go back to sheetrock screws for other than sheetrock work. I do believe .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I'd fire someone for using drywall screws on structure.

One time a few years ago an employee was told to grab the GRK's and screw a cleat to the wall to set a pick on. He instead used 3 1/2" drywall screws. Four of them sheared off at the wall line when I walked out on the pick. I broke 6 ribs and split my sternum right up the middle.

I fired him.

Drywall screws are for drywall and aren't made for major shear forces....which the original post didn't have, but for other shear applications, please don't use drywall screws.

Edit: Directing this comment and anyone who thinks that drywall screws and structural screws are interchangeable and a cheaper option for shear applications...

A small box of "deck screws" or equivalent isn't very expensive and is a good investment when nailing isn't desired or practical. I use a manual hammer as minimally as possible because of hand/wrist pain, so when the home improvement project is too small to break out the pneumatic nailer, I use appropriate screws. A good example is when I renovated my older daughter's bathroom last year, installing a larger shower and a separate wall. No nails. All screws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...