Thread: Another " What wood is it" Question

Another " What wood is it" Question

Turning a piece last night. Bargain bin wood from Woodcraft. 1.25 Diameter 12” long 0.426 lbs. Looks like a light shade of mahogany.

The reason I ask is that it literally smells like a horse stall when I’m turning it.

Any ideas?

IMG_20171125_111813830.jpg

My guess is Santos Mahogany. It has a very strange smell. I didn't like it at all and will never work with it again.
    Aj

I have a big pile of Santos Mah. flooring and mills nicely with a sweet nutmeg-gy scent. I grew up on a farm so I may be more reseptive to the nostalgic aroma!! The grain does look like Santos-it has a nice deep red-brown color when oiled.

Reminds me of Red Oak. Red Oak has an odor that could be described as a horse stall.

I don't think it is red oak, but it does resemble Mahogany or Sapele to me.

It looks like the darker section of a hickory tree.

Yeah, I had a club member give me a piece of wood that looked exactly like that and he said it was Mahogany. I forgot the particular type of Mahogany though. I made a Native American flute with mine.

Well, the color and cut part reminds me of bubinga. Very hard. I have seen Lyptus which is a hybrid that Weyerhauser grows down in Brazil. It is very hard and splintery. Mahogany is fairly soft compared to the others. There are a lot of woods that are called 'Mahogany' for marketing purposes, but are not related other than they are trees.. Some woods do smell like horse stalls, or like the cats have been busy on them. Some times the smell comes from when they are starting to die and rot.

robo hippy

That looks very similar to a mahogany variety I have been working with lately. Not real hard, and turns and sculpts easily. IPE is what I believe it's been called.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well, the color and cut part reminds me of bubinga. Very hard. I have seen Lyptus which is a hybrid that Weyerhauser grows down in Brazil. It is very hard and splintery. Mahogany is fairly soft compared to the others. There are a lot of woods that are called 'Mahogany' for marketing purposes, but are not related other than they are trees.. Some woods do smell like horse stalls, or like the cats have been busy on them. Some times the smell comes from when they are starting to die and rot.

robo hippy
    Lol... I was thinking maybe it was Chinese barn wood. It fairly soft and sharp edges are hard to turn (for me anyway) they chip. A skew leaves a nice finish. I'll post the final product once I drill and finish it.