While I realize that asking for general workbench advice on a WWing forum can be a little like drinking from a firehose, I value the collective experience here on SMC enough to take the risk.

The bench i am working from presently (while it has served me well) is far too light, has only a 1.75" thick top, and no end vise. It can be challenging to hold long pieces for planing, is not as stout as I'd like for chopping mortises on, and the face vise it is outfitted with (vintage Columbian w/quick release) is prone to wracking. I've been tickling the idea of building a nice beefy bench for a while now, and I'm about ready to take the plunge. After I finish my wife's bookcases, that is...

I've decided on the famed Roubo-style bench, complete with the sliding dovetail and tenon combo that pierces the benchtop, mostly because I really want to cut that joint, and I think it looks super cool as well as rock solid. I was leaning toward oak or ash for the top, but I recently came across some nice dry 16/4 cherry for much less than the cost of the KD oak or ash that I've sourced over the last few weeks. So cherry it is!

Here is my dilemma.

I bought an Emmert turtleback at an estate sale a few weeks ago, and was planning on mounting it on the new bench. I am concerned that it will not function well on a nearly 4" thick benchtop though. At a minimum I would have to plow a 2" deep dado in the underside of the top to accommodate the lead screw, and I worry that the thickness would interfere with the vise's rotation since I would install it with the rear jaw flush to the edge of the benchtop. Can any of you guys speak to whether my concerns are real or imagined? I have zero experience with the Emmert vise. And I REALLY like the idea of a LN or Veritas twin screw chain drive face vise.

Question 1) If you were building your next bench, would you install the Emmert, or sell it and put the cash towards new vise hardware? Why or why not?

Also, I'm leaning towards the Lie Nielsen tail vise as opposed to the Veritas version or the Benchcrafted wagon vise.

Question 2) Do any of you guys have experience with the LN tail vise that you'd care to share? Given the LN and the BC to choose from, which would you pick?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts. And happy Thanksgiving!