Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neander starter tools

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Building your own bench reduces the cost substantially and you have to start somewhere. Look at your total budget for the next 3 years and try to decide how much the most important tool in your workshop is worth. Dog holes, hold downs and vises on a laser beam flat bench make your life much easier and your work more accurate. Many on here will attest to that.
    I definitely think a new bench will be high on the priority list once I get the framing done in my basement for the new shop. The one I have now will be decent enough to get me by, but might end up being an out-feed table for my table saw.

Scott; go to Timetestedtools......the fellow that runs the site is also a vintage plane restorer, and seller......very good planes, very good prices....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Scott; go to Timetestedtools......the fellow that runs the site is also a vintage plane restorer, and seller......very good planes, very good prices....
    Great link! Thanks for this. There looks to be some very solid Stanley's on there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winter View Post
    I definitely think a new bench will be high on the priority list once I get the framing done in my basement for the new shop. The one I have now will be decent enough to get me by, but might end up being an out-feed table for my table saw.
    A few coats of varnish and some furniture wax will make it an excellent out-feed table. Add a shelf for wood storage to give it some weight, add another shelf for 'stuff'.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

You can do a lot with the bench you have. C clamps, f clamps, pistol grip clamps. And scraps can be deployed for work holding. Does your bench have any type of face vice. That or a moxon would come in handy for dove tailing. Usually some decent used 7” or 9” vices can be found on Craigslist. Or you can buy some hardware and make one with a screw from LV.