Thread: Powermatic 3520C vs Oneway 1640

Powermatic 3520C vs Oneway 1640

Ready to pull the pin on a larger lathe. Hopefully find a good used one on Craigslist. If not, with the 3520C at a new price point, possibly above $4K, then the Oneway becomes an option. Powermatic 3520 vs Oneway 1640? I like the heft of each machine.

I don't think you could go wrong either way, they are both fine lathes. It may come down to whether or not you want a sliding headstock and 20" swing. If you don't need either of those features, then I would go with the Oneway. Their lathes are more refined and more solid that the Jet 1640 I have, though I've been happy with my Jet. But there are some little things, like the way the banjo locks down, that are definitely nicer on a Oneway.

--Geoff

For me, the sliding headstock is the key. I don't think I could turn without a sliding headstock. It is so nice to be able to stand at the end of the lathe to hollow out the inside of the bowl. It sure beats having to reach across the lathe to hollow out the bowl.

Just my preference and my 2 cents worth.
    Steve

You can turn outboard on the Oneway, but I would take the PM.. The idea of the sliding headstock sold me when I got my PM3520A many hears ago. Have a Robust now.

robo hippy