Thread: Russian Olive

Russian Olive

Friends brought me a stump of Russian Olive from Colorado. I made these two pieces from it. The wood turned nicely and did not warp excessively. The piece with lots of character around the opening is 11 inches diameter by 8 inches tall, the other one is 10-1/2 inches X 8-1/2 inches. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is outstanding!

I like how the cream color wraps around the entire opening in picture #2. Nice pieces Dennis.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Those look great Dennis! I really like the look of Russian olive....

I really like these... super proportions.

this might be a dumb question: How do you hold the piece on the lathe to remove the tenon (or mortise) on the bottom when it comes time to finish the final shape? I assume maybe a jam chuck (which is what I usually use on these fragile pieces) but my pieces always have a large bowl opening. I've never tried the small opening, hollowing style so I'm curious how you mount the piece to finalize the turning.

thanks for sharing this!

Very nice! I love the form and love those voids and color. Russian olive is on my bucket list, I need to look up an old friend of mine that says he has some. How does it turn?
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I really like these... super proportions.

this might be a dumb question: How do you hold the piece on the lathe to remove the tenon (or mortise) on the bottom when it comes time to finish the final shape? I assume maybe a jam chuck (which is what I usually use on these fragile pieces) but my pieces always have a large bowl opening. I've never tried the small opening, hollowing style so I'm curious how you mount the piece to finalize the turning.

thanks for sharing this!

Certainly not a dumb question.
    I have a piece of wood that I leave on a face-plate for that job. Past the face-plate screws it is turned down to ~2" diameter and 8" long. If it will fit inside and reach the bottom of a piece, I use that for a jamb chuck. That worked for one of these two. If you use this method, hollow the end of the jamb chuck slightly so that the center does not touch (contact is a solid ring not just a point in the center).
    I chucked a piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe and used that for a jamb chuck (with a leather pad) for the other vessel.
    If this explanation does not make sense, let me know and I will take pictures and/or draw up a sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Very nice! I love the form and love those voids and color. Russian olive is on my bucket list, I need to look up an old friend of mine that says he has some. How does it turn?
    It was not as soft as I expected and cut fairly clean, this piece was sealed with paraffin when first cut so it was wet but not sloppy wet like some wood. It sands easily even when somewhat wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Certainly not a dumb question.
    I have a piece of wood that I leave on a face-plate for that job. Past the face-plate screws it is turned down to ~2" diameter and 8" long. If it will fit inside and reach the bottom of a piece, I use that for a jamb chuck. That worked for one of these two. If you use this method, hollow the end of the jamb chuck slightly so that the center does not touch (contact is a solid ring not just a point in the center).
    I chucked a piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe and used that for a jamb chuck (with a leather pad) for the other vessel.
    If this explanation does not make sense, let me know and I will take pictures and/or draw up a sketch.
    Thanks Dennis - I wouldn't have thought of that elegantly simple solution. I think I understand the concept completely, but a photo never hurts. I think that idea will help me in other mounting applications, as well....

much appreciated!

Super bowls as usual--very nice wood and laid out very well.

Really can't add anything to what has already been said other than to say that I think the soft finish is a perfect compliment.
    I'd love to have these on display!
    Be Blessed

George