Thread: Opinions on Hammer C3 Upgrade to Outrigger table

Opinions on Hammer C3 Upgrade to Outrigger table

Hello all. A year ago I purchased a C3-41 which is a 2000 year model with a 48" slider (actually a little over 50" long). I have the "regular" miter gauge which is about 44" long mounted in the "pusher" configuration and the table extend. I'm certainly still feeling my way along after using a regular table saw for over 40 years.

I would appreciate. your thoughts/wisdom on upgrading to the outrigger table and crosscutting with that. I am a hobbyist and I mainly work about 70% solid wood 30% plywood/cabinets. I have about $7000 invested in the C3-41 including the mortiser, new power feeder and alot of shaper cutters and mortise bits.

It appears that the current outrigger table will fit to my machine.
    http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...able-1100.html

It looks like to be functioning I would also have to get the fence and coupling system. Does anyone know if my current fence would work? I don't see in the pictures the 90 degree stop.
    http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ence-1300.html
    http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...outrigger.html

Not a cheap upgrade as all the above would be about $1300 before shipping cost. Are there downsides to the outrigger?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

Hi, I added the outrigger to my B3 after owning it for a couple of years.

You say you mostly use solid wood, so do I. For small furniture components you don't need it, however my daughter made herself a dining room table and was able to crosscut the 5/4 top herself with one hand, try doing that without an outrigger.

Yes you'll need the coupling devices to attach the fence extrusion to the outrigger, I would also purchase the mitre index system if you want to use other than 90 degree positions.

Your other fence will fit however I would leave it as is so you can use it when you don't have the outrigger on. Normally my outrigger hangs on the wall, I only put it on as required.......regards, Rod.

I bought the "comfort" package that included the outrigger, so I don't have the regular miter gauge-style fence to compare to, but the outrigger is pretty fantastic. I think you'd find it worth the upgrade cost.

As Rod said, you REALLY want the miter index system. I can't seem to find that piece on the website, but attached is the section from the spec sheet on my machine that shows the pieces you want. There's the piece with the index holes on it, but then the fence mounting piece is different, too, because it has a pin that indexes to those holes.

Since I don't have the regular fence, I keep the outrigger on all the time. I know there are others who swap it out when needed, but it's a bunch of cumbersome-to-install pieces, so unless you're really space constrained, it's much easier to keep it installed. In which case, you wouldn't have any reason to keep your "regular" fence, so you could use it on the outrigger, and avoid buying a separate (new) fence for the outrigger.

Not sure if you've dealt with Felder, before, but lest their website mislead you: I think they're barely figuring out the whole "e-commerce" thing, and the website (and prices on the website) seem to not really reflect what is available to buy. Better to email a rep and ask for what you need and get a "quote" that way. I suspect if you emailed the picture I attached to Liz Rogers (E.Rogers@felderusa.com) and asked her to give you a deal on everything you need, the price might be better than the website is leading you to believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, good advice, I'll email Felder. I haven't had as good of experience with the rep I'm assigned to. I still have not gotten a definite that the outrigger will go on my machine.

How long are your sliders? I think I can cross cut about 42-43 inches. Rod, I just finished a kitchen table 54" long. It was a little iffy. I'm looking at the 800/1250 outrigger. What size fence do you suggest? I was thinking the 900mm (35").

As I said I don't see the 90degree stop or miter indes on eshop. Maybe will be included with miter system.

I think I will also order the "trimming equipment" for straightlining long boards.

Appreciate the help.
    Dan