Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for old Craftsman Table Saw

Question Replacement for old Craftsman Table Saw

Howdy, I have an older Craftsman 113.29730 contractor-style table saw with extension that I inherited from my grandpa. I have it on a rolling wooden base and so far it has treated me very well. I am now looking for an adequate replacement as this saw has developed some wear over the years and lacks the modern safety features. Here is some pertinent information

-I am a hobbyist, but also a slight perfectionist and value accuracy of cuts very high
    -I build furniture, jewelry boxes, cutting boards, etc
    -My shop is a garage that I also park my cars in, so space and mobility are important (I have enough room to tuck everything against the walls when not in use)
    -I have 110 run to my shop but could also run 220 for the write saw
    -My budget is $500-$1,000

I was comparing the Dewalt DWE7491rs and the Bosch 4100-09 but am concerned that I am trading quality for "job site mobility" which I don't really need. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I had the Bosch 4100 with the gravity rise stand. And it was a great saw I could load it up in my truck by myself. It also held its accuracy to and from a job site.
    Be aware that it's loud but those small saws are noisey
    Aj

Welcome Mike,your right where alot of use have been.I can't help you with your question cause I haven't been in the TS market in last 20yrs or so.I do have a stationary TS an older PM66 and a Unisaw with a Delta slider attachment so I don't know what the latest and greatest is now days.But if you should come across one of these older saws thats in good shape maybe consider it.With your projects I say that you will also need a good fence system and a good miter gage so maybe one of those Kregs or Inca would help take a common saw up to the next level.Good luck and keep us posted on what you select.-----Carroll

Blog Entries
    I have an older 113 model saw with the cast iron wings and it has transitioned to become highly accurate. The first step was a careful alignment' link belt and machined pullies, then replacing the fence with a Beismeyer fence. The most recent upgrade was a Kreg miter gauge. With quality blades and a zero clearance insert, cuts are clean. For ripping I use a Freud glue line ripping blade and for crosscuts I use a Freud LU82M. All the items you can see on my website were made using my craftsman saw.

You can add a splitter with an MJ Splitter
    Which is the next step I have planned.

The 4100 and Dewalt DWE7491rs are direct drive saws where your 113 saw is belt drive so you can replace the motor without replacing the saw and accessories.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-21-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks. The 113 is definitely accurate and suits my needs very well. The problem is the lack of safety features. For the cost of adding a riving knife and blade guards, I'm starting to get into a couple hundred bucks anyway. Not to mention that any add on safety parts would be 3rd party and not exactly a perfect fit.

I have an old Craftsman table saw similar to yours. As mentioned by others above, when I replaced the standard fence with a Unifence, the saw was reborn. I don't think you need a new saw. Consider a new fence. Naturally, you will not gain a riving knife with the new fence.

Putting a good fence on the old saw made it a pleasure to use. My main saw is now more powerful and has a riving knife, but the old Craftsman still performs well and I would not trade it for a contractors type saw. Not even for a shiny one

Also building a cross cut sled made an amazing difference in the saw's performance as well.

Edit: I see you were typing at the same time I was. If safety features are the ultimate need, then I suppose you may need to change saws. A riving knife is likely not going to happen one the craftsman. A blade guard probably. your budget does not reach the cost of safety features beyond the blade guard and riving knife it seems. If you were local I could probably give you a blade guard for the craftsman...

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 11-21-2017 at 6:40 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Mike

Where are you at?
    A Robland 220 on Craigslist just sold for $450.00.
    There is a PowerMatic 72 for $1000. ( I've been watching this one, but I'd have to get rid of one of my current table saws just to make room.)
    Too many Powermatic 66's, and Delta Unisaws, to count for $500-$750.
    If you can put a little work into one, Craigslist can get you more bang for your buck.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-21-2017 at 6:41 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

For $500-$1000 you can buy an excellent Powermatic or Unisaw with fence.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Where are you at?
    I like in North East Ohio but unfortunately Craigslist seems to be a bit sparse on table saws. I do check their often though. Many of these saws are much bigger than the space I have available.

If you don't need to move the saw from location to location, there's really no reason to adopt the downsides of a portable saw. Lack of mass and small space in front of the blade are significant safety drawbacks IMO, but the difference in overall footprint isn't usually a show stopper considering the depth that's gained, along with a slew of other advantages. The "landing zone" in front of the blade is critical for stabilizing the work piece just prior to contact with the blade....that's not only a safety consideration, it's an accuracy consideration as well.

A decent hybrid saw will give you a full size cast iron table, belt drive induction motor, more mass, and modern safety features. With a mobile base, all can easily roll out of the way. Many will stretch your budget a bit, but you're talking about many years of use and enjoyment. Grizzly has the G0833 and the G0771Z within budget. One of the Jet Proshop models might just squeeze within budget on sale....very well proven saws.

Last edited by scott spencer; 11-22-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Geig View Post
    Thanks. The 113 is definitely accurate and suits my needs very well. The problem is the lack of safety features. For the cost of adding a riving knife and blade guards, I'm starting to get into a couple hundred bucks anyway. Not to mention that any add on safety parts would be 3rd party and not exactly a perfect fit.
    The link I gave you for the MJ Splitter is an add on riving knife will fit any saw. It attaches to your throat plate and only costs $40.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-22-2017 at 9:11 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For what you're building, How about this?

Thanks Lee, I will check that out.

I had looked at that SawStop Robert. It seems decent but I'm concerned about the cost if I accidentally hit something conductive when cutting (assuming it's not my finger).

I found a Rigid TS3660 on CL for $400. Seems in pretty good that. What's people's opinions of that saw? I could put it on a mobile base but I have never used a Rigid saw and have no opinion of the brand

Edit: a little research seems to indicate that this is priced high. Still curious for opinions on it.
    Last edited by Mike Geig; 11-22-2017 at 9:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Geig View Post
    I found a Rigid TS3660 on CL for $400. Seems in pretty good that. What's people's opinions of that saw? I could put it on a mobile base but I have never used a Rigid saw and have no opinion of the brand

Edit: a little research seems to indicate that this is priced high. Still curious for opinions on it.
    Well proven saw. It's got a lot of lineage with the Emerson made 113, and the Ryobi made 315 contractor saws. Pretty much the same saw as the TS3650. Solid cast wings, serpentine belt, decent fence. It comes with a really neat "Herculift", so it shouldn't need a mobile base. The old school outboard motor location takes up an extra 12"-13" vs a hybrid or cabinet saw. $400 is a bit steep....I'd be more comfortable between $300-$350.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 11-22-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....