Thread: Uploaded images not moving from Managed Attachments to actual post

Uploaded images not moving from Managed Attachments to actual post

I just saw the thread from another member struggling with posting photos that has posted photos successfully before. I have run into problems as well. Tried to contact the administrators but have not gotten any response.
    So I understand the photo file size restrictions here for an individual photo. I have always reduced them exactly the same way each time. I have always followed the same process every time.
    I can get the size reduced photos up to the Managed Attachments window. But then when I hit the Insert Online button, nothing happens. The files sit in the managed attachements window for the 24 hour maximum and then disappear from the window. That sounds right because the notice in the window tells you that files that are not used will be deleted in 24 hours.
    So I just do not know if it is something that I am doing wrong or if something has changed in the administration of the site. I do not know if there is a restriction on the total number of files you have uploaded. There does not appear any way to delete older photo files from the "Managed Attachements" window. I am a paid up member in good standing. So I don't think that is an issue.
    Any help much appreciated since I am not doing anything differently than I have always done to successfully upload photos to the site and then into posts...it just is not happening.
    Is it possible that there is a limit to the total number of photos at a particular contribution level and you have to contribute more to load more photos? That does not make sense though. If that were the case I would guess they would set up the function so that you could not even get them up to the Managed Attachments window. I am truly stumped at this point.

Testing:

manage attachments.jpg

I clicked
    - Manage Attachments,
    - Add files,
    - Browse,
    - Upload: the thumbnail was added to the bottom of the dialog in the Attachments area
    - made sure the selection box was checked in the thumbnail
    - clicked Insert Inline
    - clicked Done.

The image was inserted inline.

However, I never insert images that way but use an easier way:
    - click on the Insert Image icon just above the box I'm typing into,
    - click the From Computer tab
    - click Browse and locate image on my drive
    - click Upload under the Browse button

practice_comp.jpg

I always use the Preview Post option to check the images before posting.

The only thing I use Manage Attachments for is to delete unwanted uploaded images if I change my mind. This keeps them from showing up at the bottom of the message.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by James Nugnes View Post
    I just saw the thread from another member struggling with posting photos that has posted photos successfully before. I have run into problems as well. Tried to contact the administrators but have not gotten any response.
    So I understand the photo file size restrictions here for an individual photo. I have always reduced them exactly the same way each time. I have always followed the same process every time.
    I can get the size reduced photos up to the Managed Attachments window. But then when I hit the Insert Online button, nothing happens. The files sit in the managed attachements window for the 24 hour maximum and then disappear from the window. That sounds right because the notice in the window tells you that files that are not used will be deleted in 24 hours.
    So I just do not know if it is something that I am doing wrong or if something has changed in the administration of the site. I do not know if there is a restriction on the total number of files you have uploaded. There does not appear any way to delete older photo files from the "Managed Attachements" window. I am a paid up member in good standing. So I don't think that is an issue.
    Any help much appreciated since I am not doing anything differently than I have always done to successfully upload photos to the site and then into posts...it just is not happening.
    Is it possible that there is a limit to the total number of photos at a particular contribution level and you have to contribute more to load more photos? That does not make sense though. If that were the case I would guess they would set up the function so that you could not even get them up to the Managed Attachments window. I am truly stumped at this point.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-21-2017 at 3:01 PM.

I am beginning to think there is some sort of anomaly between Mac Sierra 10.12.6 and this site. Getting prompts to update to High Sierra. But there is something going on I think. I do not have an Insert Image icon using either Mozilla or Safari as a browser and neither the Insert Online button nor the Done button work for me. Comcast is my provider.

I've had no issues with this, James, and I'm a Mac user; now on High Sierra, but previously on Sierra and every one prior back to when my Mid-2010 iMac was produced. That said, this version of vBulletin has been a bit wonky lately and hopefully once we move to the new forum software in the near future, those things will resolve. (and likely be replace with new ones thanks to our friend "Murphy" )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am beginning to think there is some sort of anomaly between Mac Sierra 10.12.6 and this site. Getting prompts to update to High Sierra. But there is something going on I think. I do not have an Insert Image icon using either Mozilla or Safari as a browser and neither the Insert Online button nor the Done button work for me. Comcast is my provider.
    This is what I see when I use Reply or Reply with Quote with every browser I have. However, my only Apple devices are iPads (with Safari), others are Windows.

post_photos.jpg

The Insert Image icon is in a slightly different position if using the "Go Advanced" option.

Maybe you can try logging on from a different computer as a test.

JKJ

Took your advice and tried an older 15" mac that is running Yosemite that I have also used successfully uploaded photos to this site ....same result, no success now. Might be an incompatibility between Sawmill Creek and Comcast. I have seen provider incompatibility result in these sorts of anomalies before. This might be one of them.
    A real disappointment if that is what is going on as I have just about never seen those resolved when they do occur. Generally speaking your hardware supplier, your software supplier and your service provider are updating so often independently of each other that it should probably happen more often than it does. Been using Comcast now for something like 20 years. I would not know if other providers are faster on updates that clear incompatibilities or less inclined to incompatabilities in the first place. Heck I am just guessing that it is an incompatiblility that has arrisen between Sawmill Creek and Comcast because now I have used a different computer running a different OS and still can't upload photos.

If this was an ISP issue...especially with one as ubiquitous as Comcast...there would likely be a whole lot of folks reporting the same kind of issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I sent an email to Aaron and asked him to look into this.

Heck I am just guessing that it is an incompatiblility that has arrisen between Sawmill Creek and Comcast because now I have used a different computer running a different OS and still can't upload photos.
    Since your posts have the special characters in them, you are likely using the "https://" version of SMC. Try using the "http://" version (delete the "s" in the URL) and see if your attachments post properly. I'm using a Mac with 10.12.6, and all of my posting problems show up only with the secure version.

I grabbed a random image to post here using the second method John described.

IMG_0346.jpg

Ah ha!!!! Very good suggestion. I had not thought of doing that. Have not tried it yet but I would bet money you are right!

And just tried it and it worked!! Thanks very much. I had not even noticed that change and I had not defaulted to it in my system. Not even sure you can default to it though which URL a site takes you to when you try to call it up is subject to change. Maybe Sawmill Creek made a change and I just did not think to look up at the URL.

The wacky characters thing just started happening as well and I was about to try to investigate that. I suspect it might have led me back to the protocol as it did for you.

But thanks again. That turned out to be the answer and it saved me a bunch of time. Might be the answer to other issues for other users as well.

Actually...thanks to everybody that tried to help me with this. Appreciate it!
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 11-22-2017 at 7:24 PM.

...I had not even noticed that change and I had not defaulted to it in my system. ...
    Twice on my system something "randomly" changed my access from http to https, probably something I was doing but I never figured out just what. It was real obvious since months earlier I had switched to the Standard editor to solve some annoying problems I had with the Enhanced editor. Using Standard under https is completely unusable, at least here and for a few other people.

JKJ