Thread: New CNC Router build

New CNC Router build

I've been looking at a number of CNC Router options vs what I plan to do with the router once I get it. Most of the assembled routers, as well as the kits, are probably more than I can justify for a hobby. I have a rather complete woodworking shop and think the best option would be to build one myself. I have a friend who is very knowledgeable and would help me with the electronics and software.

One of the more interesting options is the CNC router by Dave Gatton. As I understand it, he used to give the plans for the machine away for free. I can't seem to find them on the Internet.

Does anyone out there have a copy of the plans from when he was giving them away? Would you mind sharing them with me?

Thanks for your help!

Id suggest buying his new plans if you dont want to do the research yourself.

There's a list of hobby CNC machines, including kits and plans at the /r/hobbycnc subreddit on reddit --- that links to the Shapeoko wiki which has plans for several versions of that machine, as well as a parts overview and other information which may be useful.

I suggest you read thru David Falkner's build here. Make sure you both are up for the electronics part. Lots of detailed examples at cnc zone dot com too. I have a friend that is good with the electronics too, but I would not ask him to help with all the things you will need to figure out.

David Falkner's build is very nice - it is a build of a robust kit 2'x4' (Fineline Automation Saturn), and definitely not a budget machine (~$8K?). He did a first class job, and there is a lot to learn from his build log.

What is your budget? What do you want to do with it?

The Shapeoko/Xcarve type machines are very slow and limited when it comes to woodworking. They can get there, but, in my opinion, will prove frustrating. The Shark/Pirahna machines are small and have a lot of plastic parts. If you get any of these machines I think a likely result is either wanting to upgrade to a more substantial machine, or getting frustrated and giving up on CNC entirely.

I was in the same position of wanting to start with my "second" machine first - something substantial enough to cut wood at more than a snails pace and cheap enough for me to justify for my hobby woodworking. I ended up building my own. With a little luck in sourcing some 8020 extrusions at a bargain price, I build what I think is a very capable machine with a 50 inch x 60 inch cut area (you can fit a full sheet of 49" x 97" mdf or 4x8 plywood on it), with a water cooled 2.2kw spindle (much quieter and more durable than a router) for about $2700. That includes the computer and software. It will cut all day at 200 inches per minute (or more), and rapids at around 600.

CNC Overview.jpg

I think my machine is more capable than any machine I have seen commercially at even twice the price. So building your own can be the best bang for the buck, but I spent a long time researching and learning before I started, and as I said, I lucked into the extrusions at a bargain price. If I had paid retail, probably would have added another $2000. That said, even if I had spent $5K, nothing on the market is as big or strong or as good a value.
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Nice job on the build Richard, and the advice given. A lot of folks want to build something CNC and have little or no electronics or CNC experience and some can not even solder two wires together! We see something like that over on the laser engraving forum, people buying imported machines and having fits because they can not get them to run. Asking lots of very basic questions. I would take your advice if I was to build or do more research here.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My son and I have built two CNC routers over the years. The first was built for under $3000.00 Canadian, and sold to a Luther to do guitar bodies. He is still using it.

The second we built and cost about $12,000.00 Canadian. We use it to build may different projects, including guitars, boxes, signs.

If you have the experience in electronics and programming my thinking is plan it out first and go for it. There is a learning curve and depending on what you want to build then build a unit that is suited to your needs. We built the second one because of no forethought on what we wanted to do with the machine on our first build. I do have the build of my first machine on another site, as well as information on the builds of both machines and our choices of product use on my computer, with photos.

It is a build that does require some mechanical, electronics, and programming. That was why my son and I built them together, I am mechanical and electronics, my son programming and electronic.

I wish you good luck if you decide to build a unit,,,, but please research first!

John

What I have found and this is with several machines, very limited resale market for the commercial cnc machines and DIY builds are almost a give away. I would purchase a commercial machine known to have worked in the past and rebuild if needed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10