Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Craftsman 12" band saw model 119 224000. Any experience with it?

Used Craftsman 12" band saw model 119 224000. Any experience with it?

A guy was advertising a 12" Craftsman band saw for $100 so I went to take a look at it. I've been wanting a second band saw in my shop so I can keep my 16" Grizzly as a re-saw machine and not have to change blades constantly. The Craftsman has pretty darned good build quality and I like the fence. We plugged it in and immediately the bottom wheel tire snapped and the motor stalled on the curled up broken tire. When that happened I went to turn the switch off and nothing happened so the guy had to unplug from the wall to stop it. One busted tire and looks like the on/off switch needs to be replaced. The guy says, "Just take it for free..." Who am I to argue? I got the unit home and ordered the tire. Took apart the on/off switch to check connections. Still the switch is no good so I'm ordering a new switch from Sears for $5 and some change. For about $50 with shipping for parts I should have a decent 2nd band saw in the shop. If you have experience with this machine model 119 224000 I'd like to hear what you think of it and what parts are needed in the long run. Thanks!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-21-2017 at 6:33 PM. Reason: fixed the title

Was kind of shocked that no one responded to this post. No one has ever used the 12" Craftsman band saw 119 224000?

I'm not familiar with anything like that, but based on my brief Google search on the product number, it appears that a manual is available online and potentially parts. If that size will meet your needs and you're comfortable with the parts situation, for a hundred bucks, it could be a nice buy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Posting a picture of your new to you bandsaw would probably garner more responses. I doubt many know what a 119 224000 is off of the top of their head. Sure, it is easy enough for people to search out what you are talking about, but..

What type of tire did you order? I have a small Rikon secondary BS that had the same dry-rot tire problem. I replaced them with OEM tires and had the same problem 2 years later. I replaced those with new poly tires and have been good to go since.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I once worked for an upholsterer who had an old Craftsman 12" bandsaw. I don't know what model it was, but I don't imagine there were too many models of 12" bandsaws that Sears had of its vintage. His tires were almost completely worn out, but the thing cut just fine. It's a pretty simple machine and seemed to hold adjustments well. A late neighbor had one like it, and he never had any complaints.

That's the one that looks like the Rikon bandsaws. A friend used to have the similar 14" Craftsman bandsaw, and I thought it was a pretty nice saw. The only maintenance I remember him doing was replacing the bearings, either in the wheels or guides. (I don't remember for sure which.) It never caused any problems, was reliable, and ran pretty smoothly. I think you got a nice saw at a great price.

--Geoff

Thanks for the replies guys, I bought a replacement tire and on/off switch from Sears parts and it’s running great right now. The guy gave me the saw for free because of the 2 mishaps...$47 in parts later it’s running like new. I cleaned it up, built a mobile base for it and couldn’t be more pleased. I’m not completely sold on the guides as they seem very difficult to adjust. They seem stiff. Going to be working on that. Picture to come

PS: putting that tire on was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in the shop!

Doesn't sound like I had the right one, but the late '60's I bought a used Craftsman 12 " band saw, and it seemed well used then. All aluminum case, and it was well made, but the top tire came off soon as I got it. I didn't even know you could buy one, never even asked Sears. I guess I was not as smart as I thought back then.

Anyway, the tire came off, when I was using it, and since I needed it NOW, I got some old fashioned (even then) friction tape and wrapped several layers around the bare wheel. It was still on there several years later when I sold it.

PS: For you young whippersnappers, friction tape is like electrical tape, but cloth not plastic.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I think the Craftsman 10" is the one that's the same as the Rikon 10". I think somebody here (Bradley Gray??) posted recently about having a Craftsman 12".

I do have an old 12" Craftsman like the one Rich described. I think it is from about 1960. I use it with 1/8"-10tpi blades much like the OP describes to avoid changing blades on my big saw.

Mine has a thrust bearing with a grease cup. Be sure to keep that lubed. I replaced the blade guides with "cool blocks" - graphite blocks that run tight on the blade.

Back in the 80's and 90's when I was doing craft fairs I made hundreds of bandsawn boxes and would run the saw all day many times. It is a solid little saw that I still use almost daily.

Amazingly, I think it still has the original tires.
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 12-04-2017 at 8:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Doesn't sound like I had the right one, but the late '60's I bought a used Craftsman 12 " band saw, and it seemed well used then. All aluminum case, and it was well made, but the top tire came off soon as I got it. I didn't even know you could buy one, never even asked Sears. I guess I was not as smart as I thought back then.

Anyway, the tire came off, when I was using it, and since I needed it NOW, I got some old fashioned (even then) friction tape and wrapped several layers around the bare wheel. It was still on there several years later when I sold it.

PS: For you young whippersnappers, friction tape is like electrical tape, but cloth not plastic.
    It does seem like if you used the right kind of specialty tape to wrap around the wheel several times that it would do the trick. Why didn't I think of that? Of course, it would have to be cut to the exact thickness of the wheel edges to allow for the blade to travel a little...

David, In my case, the ( I assume) 3/4" tape I had on hand fit the wheel perfectly. No cutting at all.

Bradley, Sounds like the same saw, but mine was missing, or never had a grease fitting. You made me remember that whatever mine had for a thrust bearing was really scored up, and I replaced with an intake (?) valve from a junk Briggs and Stratten lawn mower motor. I cut the stem to size lubed it, and it also worked fine till I sold the saw.

My first shop was a package deal of well used stuff for $125 in '66 or so. It included a small bench with vise, a Monkey Ward RAS, an 8" Atlas TS, and the Sears band saw. Used them all till the mid '70's. My son in law still has the RAS.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have the 14" Craftsman saw of this model. I have been very happy with it. Popular Woodworking had a Review of this size when I bought it, the year it came out. I replaced the guides with Carter and that has taken care of the few issues I have had. I wonder if Rikon's Bearing upgrade kit would fit. It is quite a bit cheaper than the Carters when on sale now for $99. Only limitation is the 7" resaw, It cannot be increased. This has me looking at one of the new 14" or 18" Rikon's. The other small thing is the fence is a bit of a pain to take on and off. I use a straight board most of the time with MagSwitches. Dan

Would like to see pictures, too. I bought a new craftsman 12" bandsaw in 1978. The only thing I've had to replace was wheel bearing once. It was only a few bucks. I also made a nice little aluminum fence for it. Would like something bigger, but it has earned it's keep over the years