Thread: Breakfast Room Cabinet

Breakfast Room Cabinet

My wife and I had been looking for a solution to our really noisy kitchen / living area in the home we moved into a few years ago. We didn't want to lose light, but we really wanted to limit noise. We also know (and have been reminded by our neighbors) that we are really going against the grain by closing off rooms as opposed to knocking out walls and making open floor plans. Nevertheless, we like defined rooms and we like character. The vision was my wife's and she gets credit for the design... my job was just to make it fit.

Apologies; the best "before" picture really shows only the floors before we moved in... Where I start is with the installation of the french doors in what was just an open "hallway" to the breakfast / kitchen. I found an antique window that I cut down to become the transom, but no such luck for the others. I had to make those from scratch. Fortunately, my wife was patient! It took a while... If you look closely, you can see the seasons changing out the windows...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The rest...

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done. You've still kept it open and light with the glass panes, but accomplished what you needed for noise control. Besides, in another 20 years, all those open floor plans will be getting walls to divide them into rooms. You're just ahead of the times!

Thanks Mark! I have never fancied myself a trendsetter! Wonder how long I will have to wait?

Design is stunning, execution excellent. Be very proud.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thank you, sir!

Looks beautiful Chris!

Just curious, but where was the noise coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looks beautiful Chris!

Just curious, but where was the noise coming from?
    Thanks Matt!

Two teenage boys, a 9-year old girl and all of their friends!!

My wife and I will sit down to talk or watch a tv show and can’t hear ourselves think when a half dozen of them come in for Water and snacks!
    Part of it was self-inflicted, I admit. We put a little TV in the kitchen thinking it would be nice while preparing meals but it was commandeered by my daughter who loves doing crafts at the kitchen island while watching spongebob or gumball or some other annoying nonsense!

Carl, VERY nicely done.

My only concern, particularly with two teenage boys, is the inevitable collision of the swinging door in photo 8 and the basement (?) door

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Carl, VERY nicely done.

My only concern, particularly with two teenage boys, is the inevitable collision of the swinging door in photo 8 and the basement (?) door
    Thank you! You are very right. The double swing door on the left goes to the dining room and it spends 90% of the time open (magnetic hold open). They rarely head toward the dining room anyway... they live in the basement and kitchen. The bigger trick is keeping the basement door closed but Fortunately due to builder’s lack of plumb frame or just dumb luck, those hinges swing the door back gently to closed if they forget.

Very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!

Nice! Agree with you that open floor plans are way overrated.

Thanks Stan! I’ll call you when we list!