Thread: Kreg accu-cut

Kreg accu-cut

Has anyone actually used a kreg Accu cut? Another option for the BYO circular saw / tracksaw. Price seems reasonable but reviews are questionable. I have wanted a tracksaw for along time but never had the money or project to justify it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PGP96S...a-356260689063

I haven't used the accu-cut but do have the rip cut and like it.
    My limited experience is that Kreg makes nice tools

Buy the Festool and forget the rest. I have the 55 and 75. Awesome. Save your money, buy the Festool and THEN enjoy, cause these are the best, hands down. Mike Cleary, Voc Ed Instructor. Visit us at powvoctec.org

The main thing about the accu cut that bothers me is the very short tracks. I use my DeWalt to rip sheet goods and to edge boards. That would require about 4 of the accu cut tracks and I think the joints could affect accuracy. You should be able to set a normal circular saw to parallel to the track but it could be challenging. I also don't think the bearings on my Milwaukee are as good as the DeWalt track saw so I wonder if the cut would be as good. And the dust pickup would not be nor would the depth of cut be as easy to adjust.

I further believe the Festool is overpriced. I would get the DeWalt or the Makita, if possible, and the Grizzly if you can't go for them. With a good blade, you would have most of the advantages and as much hp as the Festool. My DeWalt is nearly twice as much as the Grizzly and the Festool at least 50% more than that. I am sure there are advantages for each incremental expense but I still believe you get at least 80% of the function with the Grizzly for a much lower cost.

But I remain skeptical about the Kreg. I agree their products are good but you need a track length of at least 55 inches so with one joint you can cut a sheet lengthwise. I have a 106 inch track for my DeWalt and really like no joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    Buy the Mafel and forget the rest.
    FIFY

extra words

I generally like Kreg tools, and their customer service is absolutely stellar, in my experience. I haven't used the Accu Cut or seen one, but many reviews mention too much play where the saw attaches. Not good, and I'd also like to see at least an option for clamping it down.
    I just don't trust "grippy" rubber stuff.

If your goal is to use an existing circular saw then I think there are better options. The entire purpose of a track saw is for long straight splinter free cuts. Using the Kreg requires putting 4 rails together (if they sell them individually) which allows for plenty of flexing. I would look at offerings from other sources like Lee Valley that have long rails and a base that rides on the rail you attach your saw to. I have seen several offerings from various mail order suppliers over the years.

I have no beef with Kreg and in fact own several of there products and find them to work well. I Just don’t trust putting several 2 foot rails together for an accurate long cut.

I have the same concerns, the sloppy guide and short rails. I guess I will just put this on the back burner until I have enough money to look at real tracksaws.