Mikey, I don't think they are, most people use both types of tools. Sure carbides are not the end all of tools, but they do have a place in turning. And Kyle Iwamoto, you can make or cut a very sharp vee with carbide tools, a sharper and deeper vee then you can with a conventional tool. To do it, you just have to purchase the proper carbide insert. There's new inserts that you can buy, that come to a very sharp vee at the tip. I can't recall who is selling them, or where to buy them fight off hand, bur I'm sure they could be found with a search. I checked them out when I was on the computer last night, I hope I can find them again as I want to buy a few. I find that most newbies start out with carbide tools, they like them better then the conventional tools. The reason they like them better, is that they can accomplish turning a dish a pen or some other item. But once they get deeper into turning, they all want to learn to use the conventional ones. Tim Yoder, Brendon Stemp, Carl Jacobson, and many more reputable turners have carbide tools in amongst their conventional ones. So, my opinion is that, no, I don't think they are interfering with people using conventional.
Len