Thread: What air compressor pump oil to use?

What air compressor pump oil to use?

I have a 5hp, 2 stage air compressor that is way overdue for an oil change and I don't have the manual, if there ever was one, to see what was recommended. Looking at a few sites with similar compressors I see they sell Compressor Oils, either synthetic or regular that are SAE 30. I have a milling machine that uses ISO 68, which equates roughly to SAE 20 to 30, that also needs a change. Rather than buy multiple oils I would prefer to buy one 20L pail (5gal) of the ISO 68 hydraulic oil recommended for the milling machine and use it in the compressor too. Anyone do the same or have a reason not to? Thanks.

How cold is the area where the compressor is located. being that far north 30# may be too thick in winter?
    Bill D

It is in a heated garage. Pretty much 21C/70F all the time, a little more in the summer, as the wife casts PR resin penblanks in there.

Sounds okay to me. Compressor service is much lower temperatures then engine oils see. Any oil would probably work fine. 30 weight seems right to me for any piston compressor operating at normal shop pressures. No vacuum and not over 300PSi or so.
    Bill D.

Since it takes so little oil I would drain it and refill with something cheap, even dollar store cheap. Then run it until it is warmed up and drain again. Leave it to drain overnight then refill with the good oil.
    I assume your pump does not have a oil pump or filter. If it has a filter then you probably want a detergent oil.
    After I drained mine I added a short nipple and elbow so the drain flow came out far enough to be easy to catch.

It so little oil and so few changes in the compressor, do it right. Get a manual for a similar compressor if you dont know the pump info on the compressor you own.

Just look up the website for your preferred oil company. They have listings for just about every machine ever made and you won't be guessing. Cheaper than a dead compressor too. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Mobil Rarus is what I use in my Quincy QR series. Dave

Ive been using the synthetic oil in my 5 hp Ingersol Rand compressor since shortly after I bought the compressor new about 10 years ago.It's located in an unheated shed extension on the end of my shop and we do get Winter days well below freezing, but it has never reached zero here since I've owned the compressor. The synthetic oil seems to hold it's viscosity much better than the non synthetic compressor oil that I first used in it, resulting in much easier cold starting. When it's oil change time, the drained synthetic is very close to the same color as the new synthetic, so it doesn't seem to be affected by heat as much as the non synthetic oils, which do darken considerably with use. I sometimes do sand blasting in the Summer months, which makes my compressor run almost steady for a few hours at a time. Even after doing this, the synthetic oil seems to remain nearly the same color. Since it only takes about 1 1/2 quarts to refill it, so about $45. I've decided that it's worth buying the best oil that I can since there seems to be a significant difference in how they perform. My shop iis used about 50 hours per week and I don't have a running time meter on the compressor, so I change the oil once per year, each September and check the oil level about once per month even though I've never seen the oil level drop below normal.

Charley

I use Quincy Synthetic

I buy amsoil compressor oil.

Compressors and small engines thrive on synthetic oils. It sounds like theoil you want to use may be ok. I would check it after 10 hours of use, then 50 hours, in the compressor.

I use the Ingersol Rand synthetic compressor oil.

If you choose to use 30 weight automotive type oil, compressor manufactures recommend that you only use non-detergent oil.