Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting 16 mm hardened steel with hacksaw

Cutting 16 mm hardened steel with hacksaw

Clearly an angle grinder would be one of the best tools to cut a 16 mm hardened steel. But my budget is limited.
    If I had to use a hacksaw, could anyone recommend a blade? Would it be better to use 14 TPI or 24 TPI?

More importantly, how long does it take to cut through? Like 10 minutes? or 60 minutes?

P.S. I lost my keys to my bike lock recently.

The more teeth the better. Here the bike thieves freeze the lock, maybe liquid N, then hit it with a hammer.

I have a neighbor who has a real estate lock box on their railing. Realtor says it's broken , I'm going to grind It off with my Harbor Freight disk grinder. It's been used several times,but still works.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-18-2017 at 6:50 PM.

Can the cylinder be drilled out?

Trust me, buy a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a 5/8 arbor new ones can be had for less than $20 off Harbor Freight or else where. You can get off Craigslist used also. Buy a abrasive cut off wheel(s) and the 16 mm hardened steel will be cut in less than a minute. Yes you will need safety glasses. A hacksaw blade will not touch. I cut two locks off my wife's bike on two separate bikes, longest one took a full 60 seconds.
    Last edited by Bill George; 11-18-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    You can try a carbide grit covered hacksaw blade, a regular one won't touch it. But it will probably take a long time. +1 with Bill's suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    Can the cylinder be drilled out?
    Interesting idea! I do have a hand drill. But I am not convinced that the latch bolt would move even if the cylinder is completely drilled out. Are you sure?
    The bike lock I have has the disk detainer type of cylinder. Also I was actually considering to pull out the disks from the keyway by using a threaded screw. But I figured it might not that easy after I saw an online photo of an attempted cracking of that kind of lock.

If the lock has a brass cylinder and a common keyway, drilling out the cylinder should disable the lock. The big but is this is a suggestion not based on observation nor deep experience.

Note that drilling out a cylinder does not need to be full diameter. All you need to do is disconnect the cylinder from the cam on the back end. A 1/4 or 3/8 drill should do it.
    Bill D.

+1 on the HF $9.99 angle grinder. Add a Lenox diamond cutting wheel (about $15 at Lowes,) and you are ready to take on the world.

Location? Chances are good that someone here will loan you what you need if you are close by...

Here’s an alternative suggestion: Take locked bike to a locksmith. A friend of mine is one, and he popped the trailer hitch lock off of my truck, after I lost the key. It was the circular style lock you typically see on bike locks, vending machines, etc. He picked the lock in under a minute, and I gave him $20 for his troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trent View Post
    Here’s an alternative suggestion: Take locked bike to a locksmith. A friend of mine is one, and he popped the trailer hitch lock off of my truck, after I lost the key. It was the circular style lock you typically see on bike locks, vending machines, etc. He picked the lock in under a minute, and I gave him $20 for his troubles.
    LOL, I called them a few days ago. The one in my area (NYC) asked 29 bucks just for coming to the site to "take a look". The actual lock-picking price goes from there. So I would rather get an angle grinder if I have to.

// My bike is locked to a bike rack in a public area.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    If the lock has a brass cylinder and a common keyway, drilling out the cylinder should disable the lock. The big but is this is a suggestion not based on observation nor deep experience.
    Thanks! Also thanks goes to @Bill D.

Let me try this next week. And very likely I will come back to let you guys know how it goes.

The HF angle grinder is a good idea. I had a Master lock with a hardened shaft that needed to be removed. I tried a hacksaw and it just "skittered" over the shaft. I tried for 2 or 3 minutes. It looked like it shined up the shaft/hasp but didn't even scratch it. So at that rate it appeared to be a several year operation. If I recall I either used my AC welder cranked up or used an oxyacetylene torch. I recall that the lock was in 2 pieces in about 5 seconds.