Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cermark Dishwasher Safe + Yeti Laser Settings

Question Cermark Dishwasher Safe + Yeti Laser Settings

I'm 99.9% sure Cermark is dishwasher safe correct? I have used Cermark on my license plate which I've had for 6+ years through NE winters so I'm pretty sure it won't wash off in a dishwasher.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for Yeti powder coated Rambler Colster settings? I have a 35 watt Epilog & was thinking of using 100% power and 75% speed. Your thoughts??...
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

100 power for sure but I would scale back the speed to 20 or 25. I run all of my Cermark at 600 dpi as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

When I use Cermark on the Yeti stainless steel tumblers I use 10% speed. Are you saying I should use 20% to 25% speed for the powder coated ones without the use of Cermark?
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Sorry, I mis-read your post. Yes, I use a higher speed on powder coat than on Cermark. Try 20%.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure Cermark is dishwasher safe correct? I have used Cermark on my license plate which I've had for 6+ years through NE winters so I'm pretty sure it won't wash off in a dishwasher.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for Yeti powder coated Rambler Colster settings? I have a 35 watt Epilog & was thinking of using 100% power and 75% speed. Your thoughts??...
    As far as Cermark being Dishwasher safe, yes it is. However, correct me if I am wrong but I believe Yet's and other double-walled vacuum sealed drink coolers are to be hand washed and not put in a dishwasher. I supposed it has to do with possibly breaking the vacuum seal between the walls. If the vacuum seal is broken then the insulating properties (and thus performance) suffer greatly.
    Thanks,

Mike DeRegnaucourt

Axiom AR8 Pro CNC, 60-Watt Epilog Legend 36EXT, Prusa MK3 3D Printer, SE-DC16, Powermatic Bandsaw, JET Lathe, Craftsman Lathe, Rigid Drill Press, Excalibur Scroll Saw, Craftsman Tablesaw, Delta Dust Collector, JET Air Filtration, Craftsman Planer, Old Craftsman Jointer, JessEm Router Table with Porter Cable 7518 Router, etc...

Aspire v9.5, CorelDraw 2021, Corel Video Studio 2019, ShaderMap Pro, GIMP, Mesh Mixer, Fusion 360, Sculptris, Google Sketchup, etc...

I had no idea how tough the powder coating is on the Yeti's. I have a 35 watt laser so that could be part of the problem. I'm engraving @ 600 dpi, 100 power & 8% speed (first pic). I tried 6% but oddly enough the engraving was even worse (see 2nd pic). All I can figure is that it may have been out of focus. I've auto focused one of the coozies and kept it at that setting. It's almost as if each one may need to be auto focused since the thickness of the coating may vary slightly?...?

Are the JDS Polar Camel tumblers any different? Do they have a thinner coating to them?

Yeti.jpgYeti 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Liesl
    For me the Yeti black is the easiest of the powder coated finishes. I get a consistently good result with one pass at 100p, 27s, 500 dpi. My machine is 45 watts and is a fast machine in the raster mode. I use a cleaner and Magic Eraser after engraving.

powder coat 20.jpg
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wow, that's amazing! I'm totally bummed these didn't come out as good as yours. I autofocused each one after I did a few with not the greatest results. Still didn't matter. I used my rotary attachment and double checked that the mug was level which it was. Given your settings and machine I'm wondering if my laser tube is on it's way out as it's almost 13 years old.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Do you think I used too slow of a speed (8%) which caused melting or bleeding? Is that even possible with a powder coating?
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Not likely with 35 watts

Then perhaps my tube is on it's way out.

I know there are laser meters but I believe there is also some test and math formula to find laser output. I thought I read something either in Engraver's Journal or A&E about this formula within the last few months. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link to the article? I tried doing a search on both websites but didn't find anything.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

... I autofocused each one after I did a few with not the greatest results. ...
    I wouldn't use/trust auto-focus, Just your your gauge for focusing. See if that makes a difference. I pulled my auto-focus plunger out of my Mini, years ago.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 11-29-2017 at 4:39 PM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Here's the red Yeti done in two passes

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 11-30-2017 at 8:54 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I was afraid to engrave a 2nd pass on these since I was using the rotary attachment. I've tried re-engraving with the rotary attachment before but it didn't line up properly the 2nd time.

I've called my customer & told him I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be with the end result so I'm not charging him as much as I had originally quoted.

I guess I'll have to buy one & experiment.

I have noticed that cutting through 1/8" thick plywood has been problematic and I am giving a little more power on cutting & engraving plastic as well so I'm wondering if it could be my laser tube.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

I was afraid to engrave a 2nd pass on these since I was using the rotary attachment. I've tried re-engraving with the rotary attachment before but it didn't line up properly the 2nd time.

I've called my customer & told him I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be with the end result so I'm not charging him as much as I had originally quoted.

I guess I'll have to buy one & experiment.

I have noticed that cutting through 1/8" thick plywood has been problematic and I am giving a little more power on cutting & engraving plastic as well so I'm wondering if it could be my laser tube.
    You may have a tube issue but there is definitely a big difference in powder coating, as everyone else has said. Even if your laser was putting out the full 35 watts you would still have trouble. I have an 80 watt machine and it takes multiple passes to get a clean mark on powdercoat. The alignment issue on your rotary is a separate problem - do you have the hot-dog roller type or cone type? If hot-dog then you'll never be able to do multiple passes, if cone then you should.