Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog, Trotec or Universal?

Epilog, Trotec or Universal?

Not sure which of these is best. Anyone have ideas on this subject? They all look good, but one is the best. Looking hard at the Universal VLS4.60, BUT $19, 600 IS A PRETTY STEEP price? What is a good price for this machine? I've seen folks discuss better prices at the Trade shows by thousands of dollars. I would think $14,500 would be a good price. Any comments from you folks that know? Mike Cleary, Klawock, Alaska.

There is no "right" answer. People with each brand will tell you there brand is the best. Are some machines better for certain types of work? Yes. I've owned all 3 of the brands and still own 2 of them. My opinions are what works best for me and our skill set. Without knowing what your skill set is or what you plan to do, no one can answer that for you.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    Not sure which of these is best. Anyone have ideas on this subject? They all look good, but one is the best. Looking hard at the Universal VLS4.60, BUT $19, 600 IS A PRETTY STEEP price? What is a good price for this machine? I've seen folks discuss better prices at the Trade shows by thousands of dollars. I would think $14,500 would be a good price. Any comments from you folks that know? Mike Cleary, Klawock, Alaska.
    The machine that does what you need it to do will be "the best".

Your in Alaska, better find a dealer that can service it, and my guess you will pay more up there.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Uh, Universal is NOT owned by Trotec.
    Mike Ireland
    Universal Laser Systems, Inc.

Yeah, not sure where that rumor came from. Not accurate. What did happen was that Trotec bought the company that used to sell Universal lasers. They now sell Trotec. Two totally different things.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mike,
    A $14,500 budget is going to be a pretty small and possibly "used" machine from one of these three.
    You might want to share what your intentions are for your machine purchase, so we might be able to give you more informed advice.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge trucks?

Oh wait, we're not allowed to discuss religion here...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

IMO its Good, Better or Best.

If Good will satisfy your needs that's the smart purchase.
    If you want the Best then Trotec gets my vote.
    I have owned an Epilog, it was a Good machine.
    I operated a Xenetech Laser for five years, its had outstanding hardware but terrible software.
    I had a Chinese Laser for just a few months, it was so slow it was useless for the work that I do.
    I now own a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt and it rocks the house.

Just my opinion, don't take it to the bank
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-17-2017 at 5:49 PM.

Scott, Hey new to this laser tech and I've seen your blogs a lot and they make the most sense from what I can tell. So You have a Tortec Speedy 75w and PLS4.60. I'm in the market and want to make a sound decision but have ZERO experience.
    Looking at the same machines you have, plus the Epilog Helix. Primary use on wood, for photos and cutting acoustic guitar tops and backs, but want an overall machine of quality, flexibility and expansion if possible. I got a bid for the 4.6 for $19, 590 installed here in Klawock, Alaska, but from what I read, prices vary widely from off the shelf to thousands off at Trade show / Educational prices. I run a Voc Tech Center, powvoctec.org, so we do have tool experience out here at the end of the road.
    What, in your opinion would produce the very best photos on wood and still do all the things these machines appear capable of? Steeler Fan. Nice. Detroit myself, my wife a PACKER FAN. No accounting for football taste! Thank, Mike Cleary

Keith, Thanks for the info. I do want the BEST. I want to do laser photos first and foremost, but also cut top and back of acoustic guitars. You did not mention Universal? What is a good price to pay for Tortec Speedy 80 watt? Thanks, Mike

Will be used for high end wood photos and cutting the backs and tops of acoustic guitars. I can spend what I want, just want to get the best bang for the buck. They all look good, but ONE is the best. In rural Alaska on Prince of Wales Island,so this have to reliable and easy to fix, with good tech support. So far Universal has shown the most interest but not sure on pricing. I saw a Universal 6.6 at $20,000. and got a bid for a 4.6 at $19,590 installed on site with personal tutor...BUT, will this machine cut HIGH END photos into wood? Thanks, Mike

If you have sticker shock at what the ULS cost wait until you get the pricing on that Trotec. Spend a little time on here reading, lots of good people.

Bill
    I can speak with some experience on this and your statement isn't accurate. I actually found ULS to be the highest of the three mentioned.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Bill
    I can speak with some experience on this and your statement isn't accurate. I actually found ULS to be the highest of the three mentioned.
    Just going with what I see posted on here Mike.