Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydroplaning Accident - Buying a Safer Car

Certain tire formulas and models are more susceptible to hydroplaning than others, too...DAMHIKT!

'Glad she's ok. Look, I'm a Subaru fan and am glad that we have two of them in addition to my Grand Cherokee. My younger daughter drives our 2011 Outback limited that previously was Professor Dr. SWMBO's vehicle. (She has a 2016 now) Darling daughter isn't necessarily a fan of the brown color of her ride, but it was very interesting about a week or two ago when she straight out commented that she was very thankful to be driving a Subaru during a heavy, heavy downpour that occurred as she was driving home from campus to go to work. Some folks think that AWD only benefits in the winter months, but honestly, it's a boon when things are very wet, too. No, it doesn't mean folks can speed and do crazy things, but the distribution of power can be very helpful from a stability standpoint.

The Impreza is a great vehicle, although "we" prefer the larger Outback because of our own physical needs. She may also want to test drive the Forester as it has about the best visibility of all of them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank goodness the only thing hurt was the car and your wife's confidence.

I can't comment on any TPMS besides what I have experience with. I do believe that they all have probably improved since they were first implemented. On both my GM vehicles they tell each tires pressure in one pound increments. I have had one tire go down on my truck. It began alerting me at 4 PSI low. I haven't done the rotation myself so apparently my dealer resets the positions.

Good point about the visibility in the Forester Jim. When we shopped around I was amazed at how open the Forester felt and how easy it was to see all around (included behind you). Admittedly it's not the coolest looking car from the outside, because most of the sleek and sporty SUV's have very short windows which greatly inhibit visibility.

Andrew

I am glad that your wife is okay. Crowded between a semi and the median must have been pretty frightening for her.

I personally like the TPMS system, as long as it gives the driver the necessary info. My Mini Coopers will tell you which one is low, but not the pressure. My truck tells you the pressure in each one, and will display which is low. Are they accurate? No, they're not, but the can be used for trending. My preference would always be the ones in the valve stem, if any at all. Any new car is going to give you a wealth of info. The new Scion, or whatever replaced it, will be much more advanced than a 2006 model.

My personal belief is that it is the type, composition, and geometry, of a tire that has the most significant effect on handling. I gave up on "All season" tires many years ago and now have different sets of wheels and tires for each car and the truck. Both Mini Coopers have Winter/summer sets and the truck has the sets for towing and non towing. I also want to get a set for winter for the truck.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    GM sends me a monthly report via email of my Acadia's status including pressure in each tire with a yellow check on any item that is out of range. TPMS are most valuable when you get a fast leak that compromises tire pressure while you are on the road. Gives you a chance to pull over before you ruin a tire and rim. I find the TPMS pressure numbers to be quite accurate, within the accuracy of my gauges. This is a live time report from FL while my car sits in the garage in MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-17-2017 at 9:27 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

The important thing is that your wife came out of it OK. Vehicles can be replaced.

My '97 Saturn SL1 would hydroplane on tires that were inflated OK and still had tread considered to be OK. I think the weight of the car and the width of the tires was the cause. Driving it for 18 years and several sets of tires the behavior was consistent. Usually the tires were overinflated a few PSI to help keep the rims from getting bent from our bumper crop of Detroit potholes. Once the tires started lifting at 65 mph the search for replacements would start. On the roads I drove and with the traffic the car rarely got to 60 mph anyway.

The 1st generation xBox (I liked those cars!) weighed about the same as my Saturn. With the crash standards now the same size vehicle has gained weight, the second generation xB weighed about 700 lbs. more than yours. It makes a difference.

The one car in the fleet here with TPMS is the Wife's '15 Dodge Journey. It displays the pressure in each tire. From 30 to 37 psi they read head on. Haven't tried other pressures.

-Tom

The TPMS on my Grand Cherokee is pretty close to accurate for all four corners. One thing about inflation that sometimes gets forgot is that it has to be adjusted as temperatures change seasonally. That's actually on my agenda for this morning...

More and more vehicles now have TPMS that indicates pressure for each tire and it's truly a good benefit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One comment on Subaru...
    I recently leased a 2018 Outback. I really like just about everything about this car, but the seat is a problem. On a 10 minute test drive the issue didn't come up, but what I've now discovered is at about the 30 minute mark of sitting in the car my neck stiffens up and my left hip starts going numb. I think it's mostly due to the depth of the seat pad...its shorter than my previous vehicles and provides less support to the back of my legs.
    Googling after the fact turned up quite a few complaints on Subaru seats, so all I'd say is make sure you do an extended test drive in the Impreza or Forester and make sure it's not an issue. I'm well aware this could just be my issue, but I thought it was worth noting.

Glad to read that nobody was hurt in the accident. We replaced my wife's Honda Civic last year with a 2013 Honda CRV. She does a lot of highway driving in this Pacific North-'wet' weather, and the assurance of a slightly heavier vehicle with a wide wheelbase has brought peace-of-mind. It has the TPMS system, but nothing in my mind replaces routine checks or fluids, lights, and tire pressure. And, as a former motorcycle commuter of 15 years, the importance of good rubber and plenty of tread are paramount--any related costs (within reason of course) are entirely worth it. The CRV also has a backup camera but neither of us find it to be of much use because it's too hard to gauge distances.

Honda has also built a solid reputation over the years in engine design and in auto manufacturing, if that helps your decision making any.

I'm glad to read your wife is ok.
    The biggest thing about driving in the rain, especially heavy rain is to slow down.
    Light cars can be pushed around by the air waves of a big truck too.

Regardless of a vehicle's reputation in regards to reliability, it's only as good as the dealer you're purchasing from. I've personally seen Factory trained Master Technicians who could not decipher a dip stick, set a torque wrench or read a tire pressure gauge. Do your due diligence, bypass the sales people by interviewing the service manager and advisors. Determine if specific Master techs have updated credentials, awards, etc. Look at their work area and how they conduct themselves when working on a customer's vehicle. Research feedback focusing on the service end. Those are the people who will maintain your vehicle and keep it safe to drive.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Nathan,
    Which trim level did you lease? Leather and A few extra adjustments can make a difference. I have a 2017 OB 3.6R Limited and while I've certainly sat in more comfortable seats, I find them decent enough for roughly 250 mile intervals. I drive a bit and currently have 25K on a 12 month old vehicle. Physical make-up and limitations can play a role here also, seat comfort is pretty subjective. It's odd you mention the lack of thigh support as the 2015 and newer Outbacks have additional length over 2010-14, my guesstimate is 1-1/2".
    I've been looking at the 2018 Crossrtrek recently which is based on the Imprezza platform, I feel they're slightly longer in the seat base than the Outback, my inseam is 33" as a baseline.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-17-2017 at 12:03 PM.

HMMMMMM> Underinflation leads to hyrdroplaning, and yet to get more traction on sand or in snow, leave some air out of the tires. Seems contradictory. Of course some cars hydroplane easier than others. And in some situations, vehicles will simply hydroplane despite the best precautions. Glad your Mrs. is fine. My 74 Ford truck was prone to hydroplaning with the all season tires. When I switched to mud and snow tires, all that stopped, except when I intentionally wanted to slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Nathan,
    Which trim level did you lease? Leather and A few extra adjustments can make a difference. I have a 2017 OB 3.6R Limited and while I've certainly sat in more comfortable seats, I find them decent enough for roughly 250 mile intervals. I drive a bit and currently have 25K on a 12 month old vehicle. Physical make-up and limitations can play a role here also, seat comfort is pretty subjective. It's odd you mention the lack of thigh support as the 2015 and newer Outbacks have additional length over 2010-14, my guesstimate is 1-1/2".
    I've been looking at the 2018 Crossrtrek recently which is based on the Imprezza platform, I feel they're slightly longer in the seat base than the Outback, my inseam is 33" as a baseline.
    Mac
    Mac,
    I was previously driving a Chevy Malibu, and the seat depth was 1 1/2 inches greater than the Outback. I've never really had comfort issues with a vehicle seat prior to this.
    It is a 2.5i base model, with the manual seat. The lack of angle adjustment for the seat bottom certainly could also be a factor here. It's just not something I even considered since I've never had issues previously and it didn't surface on short test drives. I'll play around with some pad options and see if I can improve it.
    And my post wasn't to slam Subaru. As mentioned, I like nearly everything else about the vehicle. Just a heads up to sit in it thoroughly and ensure there are no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    TPMS are most valuable when you get a fast leak that compromises tire pressure while you are on the road. Gives you a chance to pull over before you ruin a tire and rim. I find the TPMS pressure numbers to be quite accurate, within the accuracy of my gauges.
    I think they're equally valuable for alerting you to an insidious slow leak that can cause underinflation, which can cause overheating, and failure. These slow leaks are difficult to notice unless you're in the habit of inspecting your tires with a gauge daily.
    I can't believe anyone would think TPMS is an example of useless government mandate.