Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydroplaning Accident - Buying a Safer Car

Hydroplaning Accident - Buying a Safer Car

My wife totaled our 2006 Scion XB. Tires had good tread but may have been underinflated. She was driving at or under the speed limit. She was passing a semi in a heavy downpour, hydroplaned and bounced off the semi and the median. She's OK but afraid to drive in the rain now.

We are grateful and consider this a valuable learning experience. We now promised each other not to pass semi's in the rain. If the semi's are averaging 55 on a 65 posted freeway we'll go 54 and arrive a little late!

Doing the research I learned underinflated tires contribute to hydroplaning. Most or all cars have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) now. So any new car would feel safer to her if she can easily check pressures.

We want economy and reliability. We loved the XB for it's MPG and big interior volume.

Were testing the 2018 Honda Fit and 2018 Subaru Impeza. We have new studded tires sized for the Honda. I like the idea of AWD and all season tires and no twice yearly tire swaps on an Impreza.

Consumer Reports dinged the Impreza recently for radio and back up camera problems, otherwise the Impreza seems like a no-brainer for us.

Anyone with experience or ideas? Thanks
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

All season tires are really 3 season tires so that is the reason for good winter tires. If you only see snow once or twice a winter then I understand. We put the mounted studded tires on in mid October and take them off at the end of March. One thing to look for is that when tires are rotated or seasonally changed the TPI system has to be reset. Some cars, like a Smart I had, can be done from inside the car by you. Others like our Nissans need a special electronic tool that plugs into the car to reset the system. You get charged extra every time they use it because they never include that in the free rotations or changes. Keep that in mind when you're looking at cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    ... Doing the research I learned underinflated tires contribute to hydroplaning. Most or all cars have a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) now. So any new car would feel safer to her if she can easily check pressures. ...
    Tire pressure monitors differ. We've had several cars with the feature and each was different. *BUT* in each case they were really tire going flat monitors and allow the tires to be under-inflated without complaint. One, in a VW, basically compared tires to detect any one with less pressure. As near as I can tell, it'd let you go flat if all four tires were equal and in step. (Well maybe not all the way flat, but it certainly focused on detecting outliers.)

Bottom line, you still need to check your tire pressure regularly.

TPMS usually have a window of about 5 psi under inflated before they react. In my opinion they are government mandated waste of dollars. Some are part of the valve stem which are costly to replae when you purchase new tires. Some like on four Fords my family owns are on bands around the inner circumference of the wheel which do not come into play when purchasing new tires.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 11-16-2017 at 2:30 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

It helps if the system shows you which tire is low. Not all do.

Thank goodness she's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    It helps if the system shows you which tire is low. Not all do.
    My Chevy Silverado does tell me tire pressure for each tire and it will report which one is low, however, the system needs to be re calibrating when changing / rotating tires and not all the tire shops seem to know how to do this. I even had the dealer not perform the procedure once and had to bring it back in for them to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My Chevy Silverado does tell me tire pressure for each tire and it will report which one is low, however, the system needs to be re calibrating when changing / rotating tires and not all the tire shops seem to know how to do this. I even had the dealer not perform the procedure once and had to bring it back in for them to fix it.
    My friend's wife drives a Caddy and it has the same problem. When you rotate the tires the system must be updated as to which tire went to what new position. Knowing which tire is low is nice but is it really necessary, takes five minutes to check all four of them.
    George

Subaru Impreza-Crosstrek-Forester family is pretty hard to beat for the price to safety ratio, especially if all wheel drive is desired.

(Switched from Honda to Subaru 2 years ago and I don't regret it for one second)

how long had it been raining before this happened and how long had it been that it rained last. Here if it hasn't rained for a few weeks the roads get very slick the first hour or so of a rain

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    how long had it been raining before this happened and how long had it been that it rained last. Here if it hasn't rained for a few weeks the roads get very slick the first hour or so of a rain
    This can happen anywhere Oil dripped from cars makes the roads slick like ice.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Subaru Impreza-Crosstrek-Forester family is pretty hard to beat for the price to safety ratio, especially if all wheel drive is desired.

(Switched from Honda to Subaru 2 years ago and I don't regret it for one second)
    Great info on the TPMS problems.
    The rain was not the first of the season, so probably not oil related.

Thanks John. Yes, the Impreza is probably the lowest price AWD hatchback and until the 2017 model change got good reliability scores. The radio and back up camera issues don't bother me much.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Sure glad your wife is OK, my wife and I totaled a vehicle last year, pretty traumatic event.
    Lots of variables here, Tires, Pressure, Highway surfaces, climate, etc. I personally don't trust the TPMS systems, I don't feel they're sensitive enough to provide accurate feedback. Get a quality tire pressure gauge and use it, I check both of my vehicles once a week. Safety, tire life and performance are worth the effort IMO and it doesn't take but a few minutes. Highways are always much slicker right after repaving, rain, plus texture and varying temperatures play a role here. Manufacturer's tires differ immensely in the ability to achieve traction in all conditions. Do research and buy the best tire you can afford. I'd rather have great tires on a average awd vehicle rather than bad tires on a vehicle with great awd system.

The new Subaru Crosstrek is getting some great reviews, seems the vehicle is selling very well due to this and the latest changes to the vehicle Subaru has made. Even so, I personally would negotiate a tire exchange on any new vehicle to get the best performance possible.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-16-2017 at 6:31 PM.

I’m glad your wife is okay! That sounds scary.
    My brother is a car guy and I distinctly remember asking him about tires years ago. I was researching tires and didn’t want to break the bank, but he reminded me the only thing between you and the road is your tires. Why save a few bucks there?
    At any rate, my point is, even if there was plenty of tread left, it still may have been a poor tire.
    On our Foresters (‘04 and ‘14) I use highly rated name brand All seasons (specifically good in water) and put on Blizzaks or X/Ices in the winter. Winter tires and Subaru AWD is pretty amazing in the snow.
    Clearly I’d choose the Subaru. And try to get better tires worked into the deal, as the stockers are lacking.

One trick I learned when in a hydroplaning situation (front wheel drive) is to keep your foot on the gas, and drive through it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night