Thread: Ideas for adjustable height sawhorses that double as...

Post Ideas for adjustable height sawhorses that double as...

I would like to make a set of sturdy sawhorses that have the following properties:

Able to plane on: I'm planning to have these mostly set up as the base for a workbench (2 sheets of plywood, doweled into the tops of the horses. Using bench stops, the horses should be reasonably sturdy so I can do some light planing on it.

Adjustable height: I want to be able to raise them easily to serve as outfeed table saw, jointer, and bandsaw support. So, I'd like them to move easily between about 32" to 48"

Other nice-to-haves:
    - stackable
    - small footprint.

Any help and pictures appreciated.

Definitely a great idea here. I'm curious as well as Jim and I were talking about a modular/adjustable workbench. Would love to see if anyone has any ideas.

I looked at adjustable height mechanisms for benches. The issue is they work both legs in unison. I want to be able to adjust them independently. I plan on decoupling the legs for infeed/outfeed support on the jointer. For the table saw, I really only need one of them for outfeed because I use extension rails for support.

You might consider two black and decker workmates.

Plywood held between the jaws provides quick height adjustment to almost any height.

You can build a bench top with a long spline on the bottom, put the spline in the jaws of both workmates and you have a very sturdy bench.

Place workmates on a flat moving dollys and you can move each one or both at the same time if you have the bench top installed. This also increases the height of the workmates which gives you three height choices.

In the past I made a router table top with blocks glued to the bottom that would fit in the workmate jaws so I had an almost instant router table setup that I could store out of the way and still be able to use the workmate for other tasks.

The workmate tops have holes for the plastic stops that will hold material for drilling, planing, etc.

There's probably at least a hundred other jobs that you can use a workmate for in your shop, house and yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I looked at adjustable height mechanisms for benches. The issue is they work both legs in unison. I want to be able to adjust them independently. I plan on decoupling the legs for infeed/outfeed support on the jointer. For the table saw, I really only need one of them for outfeed because I use extension rails for support.
    My Noden Adjust-a-Bench is independent on each end so it's perfectly possible to have a (radically) un-level work surface. The height adjustments are fixed stops, however. I have a very heavy assembly on mine right now or I'd otherwise take a photo to show you that. (and that assembly isn't moving anywhere for a bit because of its size and weight)

If you have some very specific heights you want to work with, almost nothing beats knock down plywood supports for a work-surface that interlock together cross-wise/half lap when in use and break down flat for storage out of the way. My cabinet-maker neighbor has used this technique in his shop for many years to support his big assembly work surface. I think he has something like three different heights.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I just picked up a pair of these

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,75637&p=75637

I've not really used them yet, but they are easy to set up & are very sturdy.

Prashun,

I did a quick google search for 'adjustable saw horses' , looking at the numerous images, is this what you are talking about?

S096_004f01.jpgdetail2.jpg
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Thanks Guys. Great advice!

Frank, I've had those horses in my shopping cart on and off for a while since they came out at LV. But I want something even a tad smaller.

Jim, I think you have hit my nail on the head. I don't need infinite - but discrete adjustability. I think I may be able to make a pair of Krenov sawhorses with a couple doweled work surfaces as appropriate. This will allow me to even camber the tops of some surfaces for the jointer supports.

Prashun, I took big advantage of the Adjust-a-Bench this week with the current commission I'm working on. I needed the bench height to match my MFT so I could support a VERY large workpiece during glue-up and then sanding, etc. I had to do a little shimming to get things coplaner because my shop floor slopes as you can see in this photo, but I remain a believer in having height flexibility for shop surfaces for sure!

IMG_1304.jpg
    --

Personally, I have a similar problem.

I'll be looking at Tim's multifunction cart at benchwerks.de
    I'd imagine that the ratcheting mechanism could be easily used with a different nesting base for the sawhorses.

Of course, it's likely overkill.

Have you seen this design?

That looks... pretty darned stout! Your design, or someone else's?

Quote Originally Posted by Monte Milanuk View Post
    That looks... pretty darned stout! Your design, or someone else's?
    I apologize for the late reply. Not mine, just a picture I saved. I agree, it looks sturdy. Here's the link. Scroll down to the first comment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Perf...ck-down-desig/
    Last edited by Bob Faris; 12-02-2017 at 2:26 PM.

Much appreciated. I'm going with japanese/krenov-esque horses. They're light and nest out of the way easy. I'll have dog holes in the top so I can mount tops and stops on top. I started bridling the joints, and then thought, "who am I trying to impress?" and then reverted to Dominos.

I've pretty much decided to make one of Timothy Wilmots' MFSC to provide some "portable height flexibility" in my shop to compliment my Adjust-A-Bench...this instead of buying an additional MFT.
    --