Thread: Keepsake Box Lift

Keepsake Box Lift

Hello all,New user here. Hack woodworker.
    I have been racking my brain trying to understand how these lid handles/lift is made. I suppose I could do a round hole but the square looks nice. Any ideas ?

Capture.PNG

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gage View Post
    ... how these lid handles/lift is made....
    Welcome!

Chop a thru mortise in the stock the standoff is to be made from. Then split it into the 2 required pieces. Size the 'handle' like a tenon and slide it in. Probably other ways as well..??

<p>
    Thanks Malcom. Mortising machine would make quick work of that if I had one. Jointer is on the Christmas list for this year though. maybe next. I dont think I could chisel it that small. I may just have to try making each standoff as 2 pieces, using a saw to cut each half mortise and then glue them together. I suppose if I use a dark wood the seam may not show.</p>
    Last edited by Doug Gage; 11-15-2017 at 5:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    You can drill round holes and either file the holes square or use a chisel to make them square holes to fit your handle. A mortising bit would drill a square hole in one operation.

Start with maple stock larger than you need. Rip it four times, and remove the part that will become the hole. Glue it back together with the rectangular hole. If you do it carefully, the glue lines will be nearly invisible. Then cross cut the blank into the two parts you need. If you do it in some wood with strong parallel grain lines, like rift ash, you'll never see the glue lines.