Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pet peeve with forums

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    I don't usually reply to these posts, but,I only go to three woodworking forums. I go to Wood Central, Woodnet forum and Sawmill Creek. I find all three to be very polite sites. Oh, I forgot the AAW site. I am quiet happy with Sawmill Creek.
    Joe

A quiet happy is no fun at all!
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

My pet peeve is related to lack of info., but more about lack of photos for complex questions. Why don't people include a photo or two, or a sketch with their complex questions. Often the first 4 or 5 responses to the OP's post are seeking details or clarifications.

Laziness is often the reason why someone does not Google to find the easy answers or take a photo and attach it.

Many of us want to help but do not want to do the share of homework that belongs to the OP.

Simon

Often, it may the lack of technological skills that prevents someone from posting a photo rather than laziness.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree with (and simultaneously most times violate) this. To laziness and lack of technical skill, I will add 'embarrassment' as a third. I very often take pictures but end up not posting them because the lighting is horrible, or the picture is otherwise embarrassing. Stupid but true.

I cannot say I am lacking in tech skills, I just don't have any. Any time I manage to post a picture, just figure my grand daughter had a hand in it. Links.....you gotta be kidding.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

What makes me impatient is an OP who gets requests for more info and never responds. A failure to provide adequate info is a burden on the helpful, but a failure to respond to queries is just plain rude.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I agree with (and simultaneously most times violate) this. To laziness and lack of technical skill, I will add 'embarrassment' as a third. I very often take pictures but end up not posting them because the lighting is horrible, or the picture is otherwise embarrassing. Stupid but true.
    Prashun and Ken,

True that some posters don't accompany their complex questions with photos for technical reasons; I was not ruling that out. But my observation -- not necessarily in or restricted to this forum -- is that in many cases, that isn't the reason. Often, when the OP is asked to provide some photos, he or she quickly obliges, showing the point I made in my last post.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 11-25-2017 at 9:52 AM.

Asking a technical question is more difficult than most people realize. The question or problem is clear in their mind but not clear to others. Taking the extra time to clearly ask a question and providing all the information is worthwhile in terms of getting helpful responses.

Typically someone will ask a question and the responses will be in the form of either guesses or requests for more info. The better the question is asked the better the responses.

Sometimes, people are frustrated with a problem and dash off a quick question but without providing good information.

Sometimes, I do not add a picture or link to a post because it seems to be too difficult when working on a tablet with a stylus. If I am on my desk top, it is much easier and all my pics are there.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 11-25-2017 at 7:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I still don't get it and think the reasoning is tenuous to say the least.
    Although it has occasionally annoyed me that I could not post a link to the "perfect" answer on some other forum, I think that I understand the reasoning behind it.

So, just to clarify, do you really mean that you "do not understand the reasoning", or that you "disagree with the reasoning?" Language is tricky, and I think that the wording could mean either (in my mostly worthless opinion on this topic). My interpretation was that (1) they wanted a child safe environment, (2) they could not guarantee an external forum to have the same level of civility and lack of poor language, and (3) the primary concern was from forums and not other links (I have not had thoughts as to why).

Do you think that those who post here can't be trusted to link to sites that reflect the values of this one?
    I could argue that we need no moderators if we trust all posts from members.

For certain the moderators will not be following links to verify that the links go to sites that meet guidelines and similar, and if the external site is not moderated, then in the future it might contain problematic content. I suppose I could argue this for any external link.

I know I am talking to a brick wall as that is the only way that the policy can be defended and any extended conversation on this point has always been met with silence.
    I thought that they did post the reason for it above.

Oh, and Chris, I appreciate your thoughts... Especially since I had wondered the same thing in the past.

It seems the rules are not very clear. Posting links to other forums is not allowed because there may be something on those sites that may offend children but posting links to one's own personal website is allowed ? It seems to me the chance of a single woodworker's website being fraught is greater than that of an established forum. Where's the demarcation just so we know how to post what's allowable ?

Yonak, links to non-commercial personal websites are permitted. Links to commercial websites are permitted unless the person linking has a financial benefit from posting the link. (no affiliate links, etc) We might make exception with the link is to something helpful, like a manual or procedure for obvious reasons. We do not permit direct links to other forums, auction sites, etc., as detailed in the TOS.

It's not a terrible idea for us to clarify things better in the TOS and perhaps that can be part of the re-jiggering when we move to the new forum software, but there is always going to be some level of subjective enforcement of this kind of thing due to its nature and due to how things change over time. When in doubt...ask a moderator or adminstrator...here or anywhere you may participate in an online community.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It seems to me the chance of a single woodworker's website being fraught is greater than that of an established forum.
    When you look at other forums, what is the context for the offensive posting? It is usually related to disagreements, something that you are less likely to have for something on your own personal site. Then again, if you choose to link to your own site, then you also have some level of control over what occurs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Where's the demarcation just so we know how to post what's allowable ?
    I once made a post that was removed. I did not expect it, or I would not have posted it. The moderators were polite and specific as to why they removed it. My point is simply..... Do not post in fear. Post based on your understanding, and if it was not allowed, I expect that the moderators will be as polite to you as they were to me.

I think Andrew has described well. I had a post removed ,too. Would not have posted it if I had not thought it would be OK. Our best judgements don't always match. Part of the consistant civility here is the posts are considered and well self edited. The standard some other places tolerates typing that is faster than thinking.