Thread: Figured Cherry?

Figured Cherry?

Not a pro here. So I started a project over a year ago for a wall hanging bathroom vanity. I am finally getting around to finishing it and on one side I am having trouble determining if I did something to the wood or if its just figured? Can anyone tell from the pictures if this is just figured?

I believe its just figured and the more I sand isn't going to change that or maybe I need to invest in a new da sander.

Appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    John

20171112_161659[1].jpg

You started over a year ago...has that piece been sitting finish sanded that whole time or did you recently sand it? If it has been sitting, what you are seeing might be the normal oxidation cherry goes through over time (it will darken when exposed to sunlight). If you recently sanded it, it might be blotch, which cherry is prone to getting. You can control some of the blotch with a light 1# cut of dewaxed shellac before stain or finish.

It was recently sanded, I will try your suggestion of using shellac. Thank you

Looks like a typical figure in cherry to me. Should be beautiful when finished. Wet it with denatured alcohol to approximate the look when finished. (of course one person's figure is another person's blotch)

I believe that is just figure. Is that plywood? If yes (to state the obvious) don't sand too much, or you'll go thru the veneer.