Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

13 Nov 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I'm happy to say that the king size bed project is complete. Here's the proof.
    king_size_bed_final2_small.jpg

I also finished the rework of my first guitar build and it will ship out to Alaska to my high school best friend this week. The LOML and I will be working in the shop some this week to get the chair repair project done.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Not an accomplishment, but I bought a new cabinet saw. With the extra military discount, I went ahead and got the G0690. Otherwise, I cooked and hung out with the family.

Temps dropped, cold in the shop so refocused to more indoor activities. Friday (November 10th), of course, was the U.S. Marine Corps 242nd Birthday – Semper Fi Brothers past, present, and future, and may we serve 300 more with honor. Did the Vets day thing too on Saturday served breakfast to a host of Korean and Vietnam Vets and some of the few remaining WWII Vets too. I have to say that I met a guy who was on the USN Nautilus. The first nuclear sub and the first to sail under the polar ice cap. As a kid I went to sleep with a book on the Nautilus almost every night – the stuff of dreams. It was nice to be able to shake his hand.

Finally made some headway with SketchUp in designing new tool cabinet.

ozbqixp.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Berklich; 11-13-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Dennis, nice work on the bed! That photo looks like it came straight out of Houzz or Better Homes & Gardens. I've just started planning for a queen sized bed for daughter #2 and hope to have something similar to share sometime before February.

Jacob, congrats on your purchase! I'm still undecided between the G0690 and G1023RW, but it seems like the motor and the dust port location on the right side may tip the scales a bit in favor of the G0690. I'd be interested in finding out how things are working for you after the first few cuts.

Only minor accomplishments in the shop for me this weekend. I finally finished building the finger joint jig that I've had sitting on my table saw for the past 3-4 weeks, and ran a few tests for another upcoming holiday project--creating small tea storage boxes that will fit onto a vertical stand (pic below).

firstBoxJoints_resized.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 11-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.

IMG_2047.jpg
    I built my 2nd stool, its walnut and cherry with no finish on it yet. I wiped some mineral spirits on it to see how it looked. This one will stay in the shop
    I think I've come up with a design I like, the next two will be all walnut with thinner legs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Irving; 11-13-2017 at 12:25 PM.

For the first time in a while, I did not get out to the workshop. I did cut into the living room wall to connect the kitchen speakers to the sound system.

But the most strenuous thing I did other than that was to cook breakfast.

I did watch the Badger football team beat Iowa and the Packers beat the Bears, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Irving View Post
    IMG_2047.jpg
    I built my 2nd stool, its walnut and cherry with no finish on it yet. I wiped some mineral spirits on it to see how it looked. This one will stay in the shop
    I think I've come up with a design I like, the next two will be all walnut with thinner legs
    That stool is really nice looking. Great work

Finished turning and sanding my "squarish" dished platter from Olive. Ready for finish. Photos later.

Took a friend to the emergency room. A support broke dropping him about 4' and hit his head and tail hard, might have been knocked out, vision effected, could hardly stand to move. Everything checked out, no broken bones found. We are in the "older" group where falls are taken seriously. The doctors sure look like teenagers these days.

Still taking care of the rescued llamas.

JKJ

Got a pair of packages left on my doorstep. The first had an order for a pair of Sterling Toolworks SaddleTails and their dovetail "ruler" doohickey, so I sorta went "my precious" on 'em for a bit. The second had a pair of wall mount boom arms. Sadly, the vendor messed up my order on those. The good thing is, they messed it up by shipping me two booms instead of one, so once I made sure that I had only ordered one, and had only paid for one, I set about taking the one and mounting it. No, not on the wall. On my Mirka Ceros (now Deros) Merchandising Display, which has been converted into my mobile vacuum/cyclone/sanding unit. So now I have a nice boom that carries the vac hose overhead to the Dust Deputy. No more idjit hose/cord in the way when I sand. I've still got a bit of work to do to add hose keepers and a couple more keepers for my other sanders, but, in the words of a nasty bad guy, "now witness the power of this fully operational (Mirka) station."
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Good weekend for me. Had Friday off and went about an hour south to get some walnut, white oak, yellow heart and padauk for some jobs/christmas presents. Earlier in the week I had finished up a rewire of the garage I had been working on for a few weeks here and there which turned my shop into a total mess. Put the finishing touches on the electrical and spent the rest of the day doing a thorough cleaning.

I had recently gotten a jointer and the head was still covered in packing grease so I took the time to remove each of the 40 cutters and clean them and the head thoroughly. Quite a tedious job.

On Saturday I moved some things around to get some efficiency/space. Did a lot of staring at walls to figure out what worked best.

Finished that up Sunday morning and then converted my table saw from 110 to 220. A lack of instructions made that a bit of an adventure.

Overall, productive weekend!

Saturday was my "day off" and consisted of food shopping, picking up my lumber special order for a commission project and cooking the evening meal. On Sunday, I completed the stairwell project in my shop and built a few small woodenware things that Professor Dr. SWMBO needed for winterizing her honeybee hives after cleaning up the mess from the stairwell work. Here's the beautiful vertical grain Douglas Fir "on the hoof" that's to be used for enhancing a good friend's new kitchen. So far, I really love this species and will definitely use it again! That's 80 board feet...which unfortunately, isn't going to be enough for everything as it turns out.

IMG_1280.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...