Thread: Sargent 422 Type 2

Sargent 422 Type 2

Picked up this Sargent 422 Type 2 for free today! It's a little rough and needs a tote but I'm not complaining.

It was dark and the thing is so dirty/rusty I couldn't find any markings initially. The antique shop guy said he'd do $5 for it but I didn't have any cash and said it wasn't worth it for him to run my card. So he said merry early Christmas. I was floored! Wish I could remember the name of the shop but it was on the way back from our vacation and I just happened to stop in...

Anyhow, I'm gonna clean it up and find a tote and put it to work.
    Is it worth anything? Assuming I can find a replacement tote?
    I pretty much only know Stanley and Bedrock stuff, and even there I'm limited.

20171111_230705.jpg

20171111_230733.jpg

20171111_230743.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you.

Here is my trial on a plane in similar condition:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

The plane works fine. It is still in my shop and got me to sell my other newer #7 (#422 equivalent).

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you.

Here is my trial on a plane in similar condition:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

The plane works fine. It is still in my shop and got me to sell my other newer #7 (#422 equivalent).

jtk
    Thanks Jim! I find cleaning these up is therapeutic and rewarding.

What do you think? A solution to get the rust off or electrolysis? The blade and chip break are frozen together for one thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Akers View Post
    Thanks Jim! I find cleaning these up is therapeutic and rewarding.

What do you think? A solution to get the rust off or electrolysis? The blade and chip break are frozen together for one thing.
    Many of my hours have bent spent in the enjoyment of rehabbing old tools.

When needed a mild citric acid bath worked for my needs. Vinegar also works, but for me it is preferred in salad dressing. If you have an electrolysis set up it might be better. Since my rehabbing days have mostly subsided it is unlikely my time will be spent trying to work out an electrolysis bath.

As far as the chip breaker and blade are concerned, you may need to purchase a new blade and breaker. You may have to find a chip breaker that fits the Sargent plane if you can not salvage the old one. Most replacements are made to fit Stanley planes. The Sargent may have different spacing on the adjuster yoke to the front edge.

The Stanley chip breaker measures 3.81" from the bottom edge of the chip breaker to the bottom of the slot for the adjuster yoke.

Good luck and keep us posted on how this goes

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've used a product called Evaporust.It is non-toxic, environment friendly; can be reused and you can dispose of it down the sink drain. https://www.evapo-rust.com
    You can find it at the hardware or automotive store. About $20/gallon.

I've used both Evaporust and electrolysis. The latter is cheaper, but the former is easier. For electrolysis a battery trickle charger and sacrificial anode-rebar is cheapand easy- worked for me. For either, or even a citric acid bath, use a plastic tray designed to soak wallpaper . Perfect shape for the long planes.

I have an electrolysis setup already. I also collect old vises. I've also used vinegar and evaporust. I was just curious if one method was preferred on something like this.