Thread: Ambrosia maple lidded box

Ambrosia maple lidded box

This is my latest turning it is 8 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall. I made the lid out of purple heart but it lost its purple when i turned it down. Every time i go to the lumber yard i dig through the pile of ambrosia boards trying to find another board like the one i got this blank from. only have 4 pieces left. C&C welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful piece, I love everything about it. Great job!!

I really like the form, both the inflection point in the profile and the blend of the curve of the lid.

BTW, much purpleheart is brown when it is turned, then turns purple with time and from my tests, with exposure to air or UV light or both. You might try putting the lid in the sunlight for a while but I don't know if the finish will prevent the change.

I have some purpleheart that was much different - bright purple immediately when cut (and has stayed purple for years so far). I was told just last week that purpleheart from Mexico tends to be the best for this.

(A bit of wood trivia: a guy from South America once old me that where he lives purple heart is used for floor joists and things. The most sought-after wood there was knotty pine from North America!)

Where do you live? Someone may know of a good specialty ambrosia supplier near you. I have a friend who buys it by the pallet. And there was a vendor at the NC symposium who had thick ambrosia maple and box elder stock (also a maple, of course), looked like 3" thick or so. I think I got his card.

JKJ

Really like how you've done the recess for the lid Chris. Sweet looking piece of timber.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

+1 on the lid recess. And I really like the way the lid and bowl form one continuous line. Also, one of the nicer pieces of ambrosia I've seen.
    RD

I live in new jersey. There isn't many lumber places around here anymore that deal in hardwood unfortunately. The ambrosia maple at the one place that is under an hour drive has what i think is a good deal on it. Thats the main reason i work with a lot of it. I can get 4/12 for $4.50 a board foot other then poplar everything else is easily $9+ a board foot for the 4/12. The last couple times i went they were running low on it. Next trip i am going to call in advance and find out when they are going to get fresh stock. With this board its amazing how the figuring shows once you turn it. Looking at the board It just looks like some shades of grey streaks.

Chris ... where did you get the board? I'm in NJ as well and always looking for another source.

J H Monteath on bordentown ave. in old bridge. They have all the standard domestic hard woods and a small selection of exotic but be prepared to pay out of the nose for most of the exotics.

A very nice piece of wood. I do like the flow of the inset lid. This is a well turned and finished piece . I find that the knob is competing with the body of the turning for attention . Just a suggestion, Purple Heart for the knob of a greater diameter. But most importantly are you pleased?
    C&C WELCOME

Beautiful work - and this might be a dumb question, but what combination of chucks and/or spindles did you use to turn the lid?

For the most part i am. I did have second thoughts about the knob after the glue had dried but it is what it is now. I should have glued a blank of purple heart together instead of grabbing a smallish chunk of maple that had been kicking around the shop for a while. The next one is going to have same type wood for the knob as the lid.

2 inch jaws in a 2 1/8 inch shallow recess made with a forstner bit in the bottom side. Shaped the top and bored a 3/4 inch hole 1/2 inch deep in the top. Then flipped it into a set of pin jaws to shape the bottom and remove the recess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post
    Beautiful work - and this might be a dumb question, but what combination of chucks and/or spindles did you use to turn the lid?

You can consider posting in progress photos for advise on design possibilities for your consideration. You may still be able to replace the knob if desired. Most importantly enjoy what you are doing.
    C&C WELCOME