Thread: Anyone in the Kansas City area?

Anyone in the Kansas City area?

Morning,

I am getting ready to make a couple of cutting boards that will have yellowheart and purpleheart accents. I've looked around at some suppliers and I am basically stuck buying a whole board of each which would be quite expensive and also leave me with a lot leftover with no future plans. Anyone know of a place in the area where I can get smaller sizes? Or have some smaller sizes you'd be willing to part with?

Thanks

Tim I dont have any. Small pieces of exotics I usually order online. Rockler sells small pieces of some. The Woodcraft store in Lenexa might have them. I assume you tried Schuette lumber on Southwest Blvd, and Metro Hardwood on Noland Road in Independence? They might have smaller pieces for turning blanks you could work with.

Like Stan said, try Metro Hardwoods. They will sell small cuts, as long as you leave a board that's at least 6' long (applies to 1/2" or thicker stock). For 1/4" and 1/8" they'll sell it by the foot, no restrictions.

I don't recall seeing the species you listed at Schuette.

Thanks, guys. I talked to metro and they should be able to help me out.

Woodcraft had some cutoffs last time I was in there. But I have not been in for a few weeks

FYI for everyone in KC: I went to Mark Frieden Hardwoods in Pomona this morning to pick up some walnut and white oak and he had some shorter pieces of paduak and yellowheart that worked for me. His prices for 4/4 stuff is hard to beat based on my research in the area ($4.50 for the walnut and oak). Probably not worth the hour drive if looking for anything thicker though he is still cheaper than Metro.

Thanks, Tim, will definitely keep Frieden in mind. I like Metro, but their walnut stock is usually pretty picked over (and almost twice the price).