Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Marketing - Vegan Leather, What's Next?

Crazy Marketing - Vegan Leather, What's Next?

I do a lot of leather work.
    I use full grain leather, the vegetable tanned leather that saddles are made from. I love it because like wood it can be waxed and oiled. Like wood it gets a patina, looks better as it ages and proven to last for centuries.

Lately I've seen some products made with "vegan leather" also known as the less popular "fake leather" or plastic!
    What's next "vegan wood products"? It's accurate and could be a clever marketing gimmick.

Anyone seen any other crazy marketing gimmicks lately?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I have been gluten free long before it became a fad. I'm okay with it becoming a fad because now I have more pre-made choices available to me instead of making most meals from scratch. I can't help but laugh at items like a package of frozen berries, frozen salmon filet, or canned peas with the words "gluten free" on the label.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I have been gluten free long before it became a fad. I'm okay with it becoming a fad because now I have more pre-made choices available to me instead of making most meals from scratch. I can't help but laugh at items like a package of frozen berries, frozen salmon filet, or canned peas with the words "gluten free" on the label.
    Sometimes a spice or "flavoring" is used that contains gluten, so this provides a quick way for someone to know without checking the ingredient list. Of course, even there, there could be contamination issues; rolled oats is a prime example there.

Blog Entries
    I think it high time someone comes out with vegetable products the look just like meat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I think it high time someone comes out with vegetable products the look just like meat.
    They already have. Some are like hamburger patties, some are like sea food.

In my younger days some of my vegetarian dishes fooled meat eating folks into thinking they contained meat.

What's next "vegan wood products"? It's accurate and could be a clever marketing gimmick.
    Don't you mean "carnivore" wood, made of animal byproducts?

Does anyone recall when some national bread bakers were called out for adding saw dust to their bread and calling it powdered cellulose fiber?

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/ga...-in-bread.html

Not sure if there is any legal reason they can not still do this today.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Sometimes a spice or "flavoring" is used that contains gluten, so this provides a quick way for someone to know without checking the ingredient list. Of course, even there, there could be contamination issues; rolled oats is a prime example there.
    I agree, but when the sole ingredient is peas or wild salmon, it's rather amusing looking at the gluten free label.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

My most recent favorite: a "digital prescription therapeutic" for opioid addiction. Apparently a "digital prescription therapeutic" is....an app. You're addicted to pain pills? There's an app for that...

http://www.mobihealthnews.com/conten...ubstance-abuse

at the local farmers market, one guy used to market his sweet corn as "meatless" which I (but not many others) finally realized meant - no worms.

Panera Bread advertises "100% clean food"

So I looked it up. They claim they are serving better food because they call it clean. Yet the bulk of the menu shows products made with enriched white flour, widely recognised as less healthy than whole grain.

So I guess they mean the food other places sell is dirty?
    - Henry Ford

should call it oil based vegan leather. that will really get some people confused.

Blog Entries
    Yet the bulk of the menu shows products made with enriched white flour,
    Well it has to be clean after all that bleaching!!!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My favourites are the uses of 'organic'. How does organic water sound? Or organic salt? Just what do they add to these...?! Pond slime? I am with Mike on theirs uses of gluten free. Some of them are genuine 'no sh.. Sherlock' ideas. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    My most recent favorite: a "digital prescription therapeutic" for opioid addiction. Apparently a "digital prescription therapeutic" is....an app...
    That's a relief. I thought it might be a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Well it has to be clean after all that bleaching!!!

jtk
    That's funny Jim!

You're right it is "100% clean food" with the bleaching. And it does sound better than "100% stripped of nutrients"
    - Henry Ford

I believe the Panera Bread claimrefers to all their meat being free from antibiotics.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson