Thread: Working time for wipe-on poly

Working time for wipe-on poly

Hi All!

I am putting together my finishing schedule for a fairly large and complex project. I will be using a basic 50/50 poly/mineral spirits finish. My garage will be between 55-65 degrees and low humidity. I am wondering what kind of working time I can expect?

Thanks,
    Chip

Not sure what you mean by working time. It should get wiped on and let be, not "worked" at all. Given the cooler temps, it will have ample time to flow/level out before it dries. If you mean drying/re-coat time, maybe 4-6 hours at those temps.

However, I've found that under 60 degrees, the solvent can take a while to evaporate, and in those spots where the solvent sits too long, it can be noticeable in the finish. This is especially true when using the satin. I'd suggest doing it as close to 65 deg as possible.

It would be very good for you to get the temperature raised up so you are assured in being in at least the upper 60s F for best results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks. I can definitely get it a bit above 60 and keep it there for entire drying process. Again, thanks for the help.

Chip