Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old is elderly?

You are elderly when you realize it is not worth the risk of buying green bananas.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I don't think "elderly" has anything to do with age. oth my uncle and mother-in-law who turned 80 this year have slowed considerably in the last year or so. But both are better off than two of my mid-50's brother-in-laws though.
    I agree with this. While I describe my 87 and 86 year old parents as "elderly" I do so because their health has declined considerably and therefore, the term seems to fit. But as others have observed there are many folks who are "up there" in years, yet through good health and a very active lifestyle, both appear to be and function like they are much younger..."elderly" doesn't come to mind when one observes these people.

I'm 60 1/2. Some days I "feel" elderly just because of aches and pains. Other days, I feel like I'm a decade or two younger. Time will tell... ...but I don't intend to limit myself over the next thirty years just because of my age.

So, yea...buy the saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Elderly means you are old ...but not smart enough to be a tribal "Elder".

Elderly is when you look in the mirror and see what other people think they see. I hope I never see it. North of seventy by a bit now, according to what I see they must think I'm in a costume or something.
    Jim

In a month and a half I will be 75. I think that elderly is older than me no matter what my age. When asked if I am old I usually respond "No I'm not old but I can almost see it from here", with emphasis on the ALMOST.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elderly is when you quit buying green bananas.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L Carpenter View Post
    At 72 I'm elderly the first half hour or so after getting up, then my back gets used to being on my feet. I start to get elderly again about 7 or 8 in the evening after being on my feet all day. Mentally, I'm never elderly - at least not yet. Hope to have another 10 or so decent years.
    +1 ^^
    I turned 67 a few days ago and sometimes feel like Thomas. On the other hand, I go to a private insurance sponsored gym twice a week and I’m usually one of the youngsters.

I bought a 12k shop toy a few years ago, I don’t see myself doing that again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The idea that one is "over the hill" is just the reverse. That would imply that everything is now downhill. It ain't--I feel like I'm going uphill all the time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm pretty far from elderly, I think; so I can only speculate.
    Seems to me, becoming elderly is one of those many bridges in life. If you haven't crossed it, you have no real idea what it's like on the other side. And once you have crossed it, there's no going back.

I agree with the comments that it's probably mostly a state of mind. If the notion is on your mind a lot, you're probably elderly. If the thought never occurs to you, you're probably not.

The fact that you're asking the question in relation to yourself might answer it, but I say get your table saw regardless and have a good time with it, old man.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-07-2017 at 1:36 PM.

Mrs. is a nurse at the local hospital. The ward she works in, gets all the weird do nothings. Seriously, folks so obese, they can't walk, but smoke and do drugs. Folks who smoked to the point that they need constant oxygen just to keep their hearts alive and folks who overdosed on drugs and some of whom are due to drug induced brain injuries, now vegetables and quadriplegics in their 20's and 30's. One patient was confined to a wheel chair as a result of his drunk driving accident, and got caught selling drugs in his hospital room. These are the folks our tax dollars are being wasted on. Old before their time due to their own irresponsible behavior and now the schools and other programs go wanting so we can keep these prematurely elderly alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Mrs. is a nurse at the local hospital. The ward she works in, gets all the weird do nothings. Seriously, folks so obese, they can't walk, but smoke and do drugs. Folks who smoked to the point that they need constant oxygen just to keep their hearts alive and folks who overdosed on drugs and some of whom are due to drug induced brain injuries, now vegetables and quadriplegics in their 20's and 30's. One patient was confined to a wheel chair as a result of his drunk driving accident, and got caught selling drugs in his hospital room. These are the folks our tax dollars are being wasted on. Old before their time due to their own irresponsible behavior and now the schools and other programs go wanting so we can keep these prematurely elderly alive.
    Wow! Interesting point of view

Unfortunately, its not you that gets you decide if you're elderly - its everyone else who decides what they consider you to be.

I was a University student in the early seventies. I returned to the University in 2004 as an employee and immediately noticed how young the students looked. Now 13 years later I've been noticing how young the parents are look as they walk across campus with their kids, makes me feel kind of old at 64.
    Last edited by julian abram; 11-07-2017 at 3:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Well Rick, that's obvious, 2 years older than you are, regardless of your age.
    I'm with Rod. Old age is a year later every year I'm alive.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I’m 47. I consider myself pretty young yet.
    My father turns 87 next week. He still works a 6 hour day in the shop (on paying jobs not as a hobby), he just backed off from a full 8/9 hrs last year.

Is is he elderly? I guess. But he doesn’t seem like it to me.

Some of his buddies that retired at 65 or earlier, got what I’d consider elderly quickly and didn’t see too many years before passing.

I think it’s a state of being vs a numerical age.
    Andrew J. Coholic