Thread: What is white fir?

What is white fir?

Hi all, I am putting in an addition that required 12' span joists. I was looking in one of the lumber yards the other day and they were pushing "white fir" lumber for the joists. Is this just hemlock? or is it another species besides Douglas fir (which tends to have more of a reddish hue)?

https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_abco.pdf
    But it may be a marketing ploy. Stores here sell "redwood" which is any wood died red.. They do also sell studs of "white wood" which means fir/spruce/hemlock mixed.
    Bill

Most construction lumber in the west is marked SPF(Spruce,Pine or Fir) #2 or better (BTR) .

White fir ( hem fir ) has always been considered to be not as structural as SYP or DF. 12' spans are not that long for 2x10 so white fir should work fine. Both SYP and DF will hold nails somewhat better. Dave

I've always disliked the practice of calling hemlock "hem-fir". It's not nearly as weather resistant as fir. But more importantly selling it to someone who asks for fir is not honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    Hah thanks for the laugh xD

I can get douglas fir 2x10x12 and cut them down to 2x8x12. Oh yea thats the other thing, to tie into the existing house I have to use 2x8.

The Wood Database has an entry: White Fir, Abies concolor http://www.wood-database.com/white-fir/

"Pricing/Availability: White Fir is used as construction lumber and is commonly grouped together with other species of fir and hemlock and sold under the more generic label “HEM-FIR.” Prices should be moderate for such utility lumber, though clear, quartersawn, or other such specialty cuts of fir lumber are likely to be more expensive."

Of course it could also be like Home Depot calling anything from pine to poplar "white wood".

JKJ

It might be just me but if spanning 12' with 2x8, I'd want either DF or syp. I'd probably cross brace them twice over the run. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It might be just me but if spanning 12' with 2x8, I'd want either DF or syp. I'd probably cross brace them twice over the run. Dave
    It's not just you. But when you want DF , giving written orders or stern commands means little without doing it all yourself
    SELL what you stock is a such a convenient rule ...its seldom ignored.

I wouldn't span a floor joist 12' with any species of 2x8 @ 16" oc. IRC says it's OK but in my experience it'll be a bouncy floor. Keep in mind building codes are a minimum standard with the emphasis on minimum. Minimum means it won't fall down, not that it'll feel sturdy when you stomp across it. If you're restricted to a 2x8 then go with Doug Fir 12" oc. I'm assuming you're not in the SE and SYP isn't available.

BTW, I frame houses for a living. And I have no idea what white fir is.

Regional differences. When I built houses in NW WA we had Hem-Fir, D-Fir Larch or SPF (Spruce Pine Fir). The Fir referred to there is Grand Fir and similar. It didn't grow on the coast, that was Hemlock country, but it grows like a weed on the western slopes of the northern Rockies. D-Fir Larch approximates SYP on span tables. Modern lumber is deplorable quality, as Bill Graham suggested go 12" oc will help keep the bounce out.