Thread: Need to Cut a Hole in a Sump Pump Cover for the Discharge Pipe

Need to Cut a Hole in a Sump Pump Cover for the Discharge Pipe

I have a Radon mitigation system in my basement which require a cover sealed to the floor over the sump pump. I need to remove the cover to service / replace the sump pump. The old cover will likely not be reusable so how would you determine where to cut the hole in a new cover for the discharge pipe? The new cover will not be similar to the old one so using it as guide is not likely.

Thanks

George
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Make a cardboard template with an oversized hole then add pieces to the hole to exact spot

Thanks for the response Jerome. I was thinking of the template route but thought I would check with others for any other idea.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Yes cardboard template. Note if the pipe kicks back or sideways when it turns on.

Mine has a sheet of Lexan as a cover which I had to replace due to changing out a a water-powered backup for a battery backup. I laid out 2 perpendicular lines on the floor then measured off those. Since there's some flexibility in the piping that was close enough. I cut each pipe a few inches above the cover and added rubber couplers to make the whole contraption easier to remove next time. I should cut in ball valves on the two drain pipes so I can close one and let the other pump run still but haven't gotten around to it.

For sealing it all, I found the tape intended for housewrap worked well--sticks to the PVC, Lexan, and I even tried it on the concrete assuming I'd have to pull it off and switch to caulk but 2-1/2 years later its still stuck down. When I have to remove the cover I'll probably just slit the tape and then add another layer. Both the electronic radon monitor and the manometer show it is sealed well.