Thread: Wixey Digital gauge

Blog Entries

Wixey Digital gauge

All,

I have a Wixey angle and level gauge (WR365). I used it twice right out of the box and it worked great. Tried to use a few months afterward and the batteries were dead. Put new batteries in only to find that the thing shows every symbol possible on the screen and won't shut off. Hence the dead batteries. I didn't even get to use it 3 times.

I bought thru a third party on Amazon. 3rd party won't cover (after 30 days), Amazon won't cover and Wixey won't cover because a third party was involved.

Basically I have magnetic paper weight that looks like it is brand new. Buy direct from Wixey I guess. Totally wasted my $40.

Is there a Wixey rep that follows this site?

Is there another mfg that anyone recommends?

bad Wixey.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-06-2017 at 2:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a Beall Tilt Box and it uses a 9 volt battery which lasts a very long time. I think I've replaced the battery once in over 10 years.

Have you tried removing the batteries, waiting at least 30 seconds and reinstalling them per the Wixey owners manual?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I bought a no-name unit from Amazon a few years ago for $25. It has performed flawlessly in setting the blade angle on my table saw.

"Changing your warranty based on which dealer the customer goes thru to buy your product is total BS."

I won't defend their policy. And the device should NOT have failed so soon. But their policy is very clearly stated right on their website. It includes these statements under Warranty and returns:

"We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. We will replace or repair any of our products that fail to function properly for up to one year with proof of the date of original purchase from any of the dealers listed here on our website."

"We do not honor warranty on third party purchases through places like Ebay or independent sellers on Amazon*2 or other sites. You must contact the seller for their warranty policy.
    *2 Note: Just because your receipt says AMAZON at the top does not mean you purchased from AMAZON. Be sure to check just under the item and make sure it was sold by Amazon or one of our other dealers."

I understand that you're hacked off and I'm sorry about that. But they didn't mislead you in any way that I can tell. So it doesn't seem reasonable to complain about a warranty that you didn't go read about before making the purchase.

Full disclosure: I own a Wixey digital gauge and like it alot. I remove the battery from mine after every use to protect from risk of corrosion.

Fred

If the amazon page represnets that the item has a 1-year warranty (and it probably does), then Amazon should sort this out for you. Contact them.

I sympathize, but buying from Amazon can get confusing. Depending on what their "fine print" says, you may get a great return policy or you may get none. You may pay sales tax, or you may not. If you buy from them, it pays to know that up front.

FWIW, I have one of the Wixey tilt angle gauges, and find it close to useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    "Changing your warranty based on which dealer the customer goes thru to buy your product is total BS."

I won't defend their policy. And the device should NOT have failed so soon. But their policy is very clearly stated right on their website. It includes these statements under Warranty and returns:

"We offer a 1 year warranty against manufacturing defects. We will replace or repair any of our products that fail to function properly for up to one year with proof of the date of original purchase from any of the dealers listed here on our website."

"We do not honor warranty on third party purchases through places like Ebay or independent sellers on Amazon*2 or other sites. You must contact the seller for their warranty policy.
    *2 Note: Just because your receipt says AMAZON at the top does not mean you purchased from AMAZON. Be sure to check just under the item and make sure it was sold by Amazon or one of our other dealers."

I understand that you're hacked off and I'm sorry about that. But they didn't mislead you in any way that I can tell. So it doesn't seem reasonable to complain about a warranty that you didn't go read about before making the purchase.

Full disclosure: I own a Wixey digital gauge and like it alot. I remove the battery from mine after every use to protect from risk of corrosion.

Fred

Good points Fred and I think maybe I should start pulling the batteries in my Wixey too - thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    It is unfortunate that the chain of custody or whatever it is called has clouded the areas of responsibility. I have always had top notch service from Wixey. I get very good battery life but, I changed where I get my batteries. I used to try to save money by buying them online or in batches . . . fail. I mean, they are supposed to have a very long shelf life but, that does not seem to be the case with sensitive electronics. Batteries that had been properly stored and even metered good would soon die in my calipers, DRO's or weather 'senders'. I started picking up batteries as needed, at the pharmacy or pharmacy section of stores and checking the dates.

The 2032 in my tablesaw DRO will last quite a while; 6 months at least and probably longer. My tilt box will go several months but, that's it. I assume there are different electronics. I too bought a Beall that takes a 9 volt and I change it so seldom I can't really give you an estimate of duration. I do notice the batteries seem to die during cold weather. We don't really get cold weather here for long so that may contribute to my long battery life.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have an early version Wixey angle gauge. When I first got it batteries didn't last more than a couple months. I think I figured out why. I stored it in a drawer that I open fairly often, it also contains frequently used measuring devices. Every time the drawer opened or closed the angle gauge would wake up. I don't use it often so just remove the battery. It seems to work okay within its limitations, way better than the old style Wixey planer gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    ...I think maybe I should start pulling the batteries in my Wixey too - thanks for the tip.
    After one battery drain and reports of others of the same problem, I leave the batteries out of my Wixey. I have several sets of digital calipers with that problem too.

JKJ

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Is there a Wixey rep that follows this site?
    I found Barry Wixey to be extremely responsive when working on modifying one of their products. Their product line fills a niche which from my perspective has value for woodworking and woodworkers. Not everyone feels that their hobby warrants a Mitutoyo or even an iGaging caliper for instance. Here is Barry's contact info which I think can be found on their web-site. If posting this is not permitted, hopefully a moderator will just delete.

Barry Wixey
    Barry Wixey Development

Email barry@wixey.com
    Website www.wixey.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Wixey/112744405419961
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius