Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Shooting plane vs my lN LAJ for shooting

Veritas Shooting plane vs my lN LAJ for shooting

I currently use a Lie-Nielsen low angle jack for shooting. I have some money from a relative to spend on a gift. Would a Veritas Shooting plane be enough of an upgrade to sway me to use that money on it? I have all the basic tool kit fwiw.

Blog Entries
    One thing to consider with a shooting plane is there are left and right handed versions. The LAJ can be used from either side. If you do mitered work, being able to change the side of attack can be an advantage.

In the write up on the shooting plane is says the effective angle of the blade, due to being skewed, against the work is 35º. With the same 25º grind on the LAJ, it is only a 2º advantage.

My reason for switching to a LAJ for shooting is an old shoulder injury. One thing discovered is the LAJ leaves a smoother surface on the end grain than a higher angle bench plane. Not sure if the shooting plane would leave much of a smoother angle.

Do you have a combination plane?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing to consider with a shooting plane is there are left and right handed versions. The LAJ can be used from either side. If you do mitered work, being able to change the side of attack can be an advantage.

In the write up on the shooting plane is says the effective angle of the blade, due to being skewed, against the work is 35º. With the same 25º grind on the LAJ, it is only a 2º advantage.

My reason for switching to a LAJ for shooting is an old shoulder injury. One thing discovered is the LAJ leaves a smoother surface on the end grain than a higher angle bench plane. Not sure if the shooting plane would leave much of a smoother angle.

Do you have a combination plane?

jtk
    i do not have a combination plane as such but I do have an LV small plow. Also, I have an LN 102 small block but no adjustable mouth block plane (have considered getting but haven't felt enough of a need yet). If I forego some camera stuff I could spend up to about $1,200 on woodworking.

Hi Tony,
    Here's my 2 cents. I have both the LN and LV, LAJ which, like you is what I started shooting with. Then purchased the LV, Shooting plane to be used with a ramped and tracked shooting board. Shortly afterwards I added the LV, Miter plane to be used with a fast and dirty shooting board as described here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYJhfChDdM
    All 4 planes are excellent, however a plane that is designed and dedicated just for shooting is a real pleasure to use. I don't have the space for a dedicated shooting bench and the Shooting plane is large, and when used with the large ramped shooting board it takes up a lot of space. 90% of the time I reach for the Miter plane and it's snap together shooting board. I really like my hand right there by the blade pushing on the horn. You get a vary vary nice feed back when shooting. If I have a "lot" of end grain shooting or long edge shooting to do of course then I go for the Shooting plane, but to just clean up saw marks and a few light cuts to square up a board I always go for the Miter plane. The LV Miter plane is sweet. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    Chet

The Lv shooting plane is as easy as it gets. My 12 yr old uses it effortlessly.

It is designed to run in a track. it is more ergonomic than my la jack in this application.

The design makes it easy to keep the plane square through the push which is the key to producing a flat cut.

It is an extravagance but I suspect anyone who has one believes it has been worth the
    Money.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

It is an extravagance but I suspect anyone who has one believes it has been worth the
    Money.
    My sentiment exactly.

Doug

Thumbs up

[Prashun Patel; The design makes it easy to keep the plane square through the push which is the key to producing a flat cut.

Money.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    [Prashun Patel; The design makes it easy to keep the plane square through the push which is the key to producing a flat cut.

Money.
    +1
    Same sentiment here. I've never seen a job that I couldn't have done with a Jack instead, but the shooter certainly makes things easier.

The miter plane is much harder to justify IMO. I have one, and prefer it for some things (not least on a miter jack), but I can't honestly say that it adds anywhere near as much ease of use and enjoyment as the shooter for me. YMMV.

9. I used to use my Veritas LAJ and now use the Veritas Shooting Plane. I would hate to have to go back to the LAJ as the Shooting plane is amazing for shooting - who would have thought! I added a side fence to my shooting board to effectively make a chute and using the shooting plane is so effortless and easy now. Using the LAJ was hard work and I found it took a toll on my hands etc if I had to do a lot whereas I could use the shooting plane all day long with no fatigue. I also get better results with the dedicated plane as there is no tendency to accidentally tip the plane etc - also the skew on the blade and the extra mass of the plane really seems to help make the cut much easier. I don't think you would regret getting the Shooting plane - but then again I am yet to regret any hand tool I have purchased!

Cheers,

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Chet R Parks View Post
    Hi Tony,
    Here's my 2 cents. I have both the LN and LV, LAJ which, like you is what I started shooting with. Then purchased the LV, Shooting plane to be used with a ramped and tracked shooting board. Shortly afterwards I added the LV, Miter plane to be used with a fast and dirty shooting board as described here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYJhfChDdM.
    Chet
    Enjoyed the video Chet. Thank you!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I currently use a Lie-Nielsen low angle jack for shooting. I have some money from a relative to spend on a gift. Would a Veritas Shooting plane be enough of an upgrade to sway me to use that money on it? I have all the basic tool kit fwiw.
    Hi Tony

About 10 years ago I won an eBay auction (quite cheaply, I might add) for a Stanley #51/52 shooting board and plane. I've built many ramped shooting boards over the years and used then very happily with the LV LA Jack, but the Stanley was the one I wanted.

The #51 plane needed to be rebuilt (broken frog), but once done was sublime. A few years went by and replaced the Stanley #51 with a LN #51. This was Heaven. It is a fantastic plane. I just love the looks ... because it looks like the Stanley.

A couple of years ago the Veritas Shooting Plane (#51 equivalent) came for assessment. And it stayed. I love the LN, but the Veritas is just a better user. You can read my review/experience here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I think the LV 51 shooting plane would be ideal. I like the adjustable mouth and handle.

I use my LN 4-1/2 for shooting and works well.

Blog Entries
    Like any specialty plane, the value to you will vary on your use of it. I used the Lee Valley LAJ for shooting and it works fine, no complaints. I did make a hot dog for it.

hotDogTote 4.jpg

I received the LV Shooting plane and long track as a gift and it has been a pleasure to use.

Shootingboard v2 (4).jpg . Shootingboard v2 (5).jpg

Unless you are having sub-optimal results from your current setup, I would ponder what else I could do with that money. If you have the basics covered (jointer, smoother, shoulder, block) there is nothing wrong with rewarding yourself by upping the level of a given tool that you use a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agonized over a similar decision one of the last free shipping events (darn you Rob Lee!). Went with the LV shooting plane and no regrets. Works great on a shooting board and pretty deft as a free-range plane too. And don't forget, good wood is always a good option.

Best,
    Chris

IMG_1300.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think the LV 51 shooting plane would be ideal. I like the adjustable mouth and handle.
    You mean the LV shooting plane right?

LN makes a 51 (LV doesn't), but it has a fixed handle and has a Bed Rock style movable frog to adjust the mouth. It's a great plane, particularly if you shoot long grain such that its cap iron becomes useful, but that's not what people shoot most of the time in my experience. The LV has the adjustable handle and absolutely excels on end grain.