Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Sandable Wood Glue?

Makes sense Jim. I've just found that the tape creates as much trouble as it is supposed to solve. Nailing the glue application sorts the problem at it's source. I certainly don't get it right every time! In tricky situations I'll dry assemble the joint and wax around the squeeze out zones. This works very well. Naptha to remove the wax and away I go.

+1 on careful application of glue. I use a brush or a roller/ dispenser for small work and a 4" ink brayer for large. With practice you can dial in the amount of glue and have little or no squeeze out.

Chris or others - Talk to me more about the wax idea.

I will be using solvent base stain and top coat, so I can use like Butcher's or Johnson's paste ?

Wipe down the area well w a few sides of rag w Naptha, let dry out, before applying stain and I'll be OK ?

Lacquer thinner that I have handy should remove wax like Naptha ?

And it will be OK when I wipe down stain and not cause any problem w like a Nitro Laquer ?

No fisheye or other type surprises ?

I'm liking this idea for certain cases.. How well does the glue pop or peel off?

Gonna go out now and try a test.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 11-06-2017 at 5:53 PM.

Titebond Extend II or even III isn't really hard to sand. However, it does wick its way into wood pores when wet and while drying. Because of this it is possible that, when sanding, you haven't gotten down to the level to which it soaked into the wood.

Taping inside corners and finishing first are good ways to prevent glue discoloration problems, especially when staining the wood. However, I have also used a product that was suggested by Michael Fortune called Waxilit. Wiping a good coat of Waxilit on the wood where the wood meets at the joint with a paper towel or cloth does help prevent glue from being wicked into the pores. The nice thing about Waxilit is that it doesn't seem to affect how the wood soaks up stain or finish, although I do try to get all of it off before staining. The reference was in a Fine Woodworking article about glue squeeze out. Waxilit is a little hard to find these days, but a search on the internet should locate who is selling it these days.

Finally, I included the 2 links below (which I hope you can open - may require an online FWW membership):

Strategies for Squeeze-out

Never Struggle with Squeeze-Out Again

There are other FWW articles about glue squeeze-out, but the most useful thing I learned from them was to use glue a little more sparingly and pay attention to which surfaces you coat with glue. Also, wiping some of the squeezed out glue off with a brush after bringing the joint partially together can eliminate a lot of the squeeze out. No way to avoid it completely though.