Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see them!

Let's see them!

Your bench in action....

Everyone has seen my workbench being used.....so, how about a thread of benches actually being used? Let's see a bench being used, for a change. Doesn't matter how beat up, cluttered, large, small.....just a few pictures of YOUR bench in action.

( "Warts, and all" as the Goblin King would say)

This is a shot from when I tried to make a chamfer plane. What I ended up with was a tear-out plane, but it's the thought that counts, right?
    IMG_20150313_112700.jpg

Yep.

After all, they are supposed to be WORKbenches.....

Bench in Use.JPG
    I just put together the drill press. Thus the mess. It was the second one I put together. I bought the cheapish Porter Cable press and returned it because the chuck wobbled like crazy no matter how I put it together.

Here is mine. Inside bench projects, outside trim for new window I just installed in the bedroom, installing generator and transfer switch for the house, new handrail in progress for exterior front steps. Garage bench repairing chainsaw and collecting tools and supplies from the window install. Plenty going on here.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Okay, here are a couple of my bench in use images:

Groovin'.jpg

This is cutting a groove with a 6mm blade and a Stanley #45. Plywood seems to have gone metric and what used to be 1/4" is now 6mm. The skates on the #45 are a bit too wide for a 6mm blade so the movable skate is removed.

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

This is using a plane on thin stock. A person asked about this so this was a demonstration of my technique for holding and working thin pieces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Making a candle box:
    sidetoothed.jpg
    1candlebox.jpg
    Rabbets for thicknessing the boards:
    thicknessing.jpg
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 11-04-2017 at 5:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Your bench in action....

Everyone has seen my workbench being used.....so, how about a thread of benches actually being used? Let's see a bench being used, for a change. Doesn't matter how beat up, cluttered, large, small.....just a few pictures of YOUR bench in action.

( "Warts, and all" as the Goblin King would say)
    OK Steven you asked for it:

mainBenchWithSVForePlane171104dscf2087.jpg

The main bench with the prep and assembly bench behind it.

joineryAndAssemblyBench171104dscf2089.jpg

The third bench is the most important, the sharpening bench:

sharpeningBench171104dscf2092.jpg

I've re-purposed the portable bench to replace the old sharpening bench. In a few weeks I'll start building another portable bench using what I learned from the portable/sharpening bench. There was nothing wrong with the bench as a portable bench but because of the rush to finish and construction grade wood it was not pleasing to the eye. Hidden away as a sharpening bench is a good use of it.

ken

Ok...mine, since it was in use, today..
    IMG_2376 (640x480).jpg
    Not the prettiest at the dance.....still seems to do the job...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Okay, here are a couple of my bench in use images:

This is cutting a groove with a 6mm blade and a Stanley #45. Plywood seems to have gone metric and what used to be 1/4" is now 6mm. The skates on the #45 are a bit too wide for a 6mm blade so the movable skate is removed.

This is using a plane on thin stock. A person asked about this so this was a demonstration of my technique for holding and working thin pieces.

jtk
    Jim,

Yep, that is the way it is going. The sooner folks start thinking in metric the easier the transition will be. One of the best things I've done in my shop was going metric about 6 or 7 years ago. While I measure little, when I do, I make many fewer mistakes working in metric.

From your photo I'm not sure how you are holding the thin stock, it looks as if you have it pinched between the end vise and ?.

ken

It's a long story but the bench on the assembly/prep bench was very instrumental in MsBubba and I buying our current house about eight years ago. It was down in the back garden's wash sitting area and falling apart and only eight years later have I gotten around to fixing it. No one ever said I was fast.

ken

Blog Entries
    From your photo I'm not sure how you are holding the thin stock, it looks as if you have it pinched between the end vise and ?.
    Hi Ken,

My cropping of the image did that:

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

There is a low wooden dog holding the far end. This was done when another member asked about holding thin stock. The spacer stack in the vise not only keeps the vise from racking, it limits how hard the vise can close and prevents bowing thin material.

the bench on the assembly/prep bench was very instrumental in MsBubba and I buying our current house
    That style of bench is one that appeals to me. My truck has broken an end on one. Picked up another that was broken by someone else. A piece of firewood under the broken leg has added some life to it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

OK, I'll play. I just began a new project today, and I have a few photos to record it. First the bench ...

Looks too neat, I know. The story is that I have had a month-and-a-bit to install a new tablesaw (Hammer K3), upgrade the dust collection, and tune all the machines. I even built a router table into the K3 (not sure why, since I used the old one once last year). But after that orgy of machinery, I completed the last hard maple panel for the kitchen I built earlier this year. That's it on the right ...

And NOW I can put all the machines away and concentrate on three windsor three-legged stools to replace the three in the picture above. I really want to build a bunch of windsor chairs, but the stools are needed first.

But before I can begin, I need tools. I have a new scorp from Ray Isles (I chose this because it is based on a favourite of Peter Galbert, and you cannot get a better recommendation than that). I need a travisher, and have decided to build my own (possibly more than one) using Peter Galbert's as a model. That involves making blades as well. Brass and O1 ...

I thought I would start with rebuilding the blades in a couple of heel shaves (different curvatures) I picked up ...

You can see how worn one is here ...

Well, I'll post more down the line

Regards from Perth

Derek

These pics are all from my current project which is a mission/arts & crafts style desk.
    684E74C3-5D7D-40B8-93B5-83B199D522A1.jpg
    Chopping mortises in a front leg
    4060A3F2-C2EF-40DA-B895-995800A9B9BC.jpg
    Making the shoulder cut for the tenon on the front stretcher
    E20BB362-3504-421E-9973-A93380B52BD8.jpg
    Glueing up drawer runners
    20153B71-344F-40BE-87AA-FF7FEC833A4B.jpg
    Plowing grooves in the drawer sides
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Student working on a top for a Limbert table - tail vise is handy for deeper cross-grain jobs. He just completed a 00 in highly figured mahogany and Lutz, but wanted to stick around for some non-instrument projects.IMG_6426.jpg