Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see them!

Son's Project, but on my bench

My 14 year old completed a night stand for this year's 4H project. Most of the joiner was done using hand tools (my tools, my bench). In addition to half-blind, hand-cut dovetails, this piece featured web-framed dust panels beneath the drawers and 30 hand-chopped mortises.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe, fine work there. I'm betting his interest continues. Congratulations to you both.

Joe, That is very nicely done. Must have a good teacher and must be very skilled at 14 years.
    Jim

Here's mine

Here's my two benches; Not much to say, except they are unusually neat.

The maple one (the top looks rather thin, right?) was just resurfaced, and the other (my first) bench I made of spare flooring was full of junk till yesterday-looks more like a counter now.

There is a third bench in lumber area-I made it years ago before WW started. It's a horizontal surface to cut down sheet goods.

Main bench.JPGWall bench.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Attachment 370986

This is using a plane on thin stock. A person asked about this so this was a demonstration of my technique for holding and working thin pieces.

jtk
    Look like you killing it w that plane, but what is yer thin stock butted against?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Look like you killing it w that plane, but what is yer thin stock butted against?
    A wooden bench dog. The picture was cropped for the first post. Then in post #12 the full image was posted. The dog is kind of hard to see, so here it is with and arrow pointing at the dog:

Planing Thin Stock.jpg

As for killing it my planing started out slow and cautious, but at the end it picked up a little speed. There is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsa0bdnW14U&t=

In the still shot it looks like fast movement because of the slow shutter speed in low light.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-06-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: In the still shot... Corrected URL
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Well, I'll post more down the line

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, I have heel shaves in seven different sweeps (including a #12) so I'm really looking forward to this.
    AKA - "The human termite"

A Long Time Ago...in a Pole Barn far away....
    SDC12554.jpg
    With a top made of Ash, sitting on 6 x6 Sycamore legs..."Chop" was even "rived" from one of the beams of Sycamore (still used, on my latest bench BTW) Aprons were from an old waterbed frame.

SDC12543.jpg
    Back then...I could work from both sides of the bench....
    SDC12302.jpg
    And, it was better than using the top of my #113 Tablesaw....
    The old bench still lives on, in another Pole Barn Shop ( where I sometimes go to buy a bit of hardwood)
    lathe.jpg
    Now serves as a bench for an old Sears lathe....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-06-2017 at 3:30 PM.

This is my faithful assistant100_1226.JPG
    Last edited by Bob Leistner; 11-06-2017 at 8:47 PM.

bench in use.jpgAttachment 371200My Bench in use. Working on 2 more Windsors for my dining room set ( 2 already completed and in use).Attachment 371200

Blog Entries
    Accessories for the dog . . .

dog-2.jpgdog-1.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the process of fine tuning a curved rail.

A7E14EAB-C528-41C7-83C5-2D61DDF324E5.jpg

One down, one to go.

387E9E07-4D8D-43E6-8EBE-9BCA2B3BC577.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-08-2017 at 8:46 AM.

Because of Steven's Goblin King quote.

On the bench in the background is the lid from the family trunk that came over from Sweden. In the foreground is some walnut from a deadfall on the farm...and some of my daughter's painting supplies.

Inside bench kind of small less than 2'x4' and keeps me from making anything too big.

IMG_3135[1].jpg
    Outside bench, second top, I used 2''x8'' KD pre-primed fascia board need something water resistant other than the tarp and I'm going to enclose the base with 1''x8'' ship lap on the 3 sides to the weather.
    IMG_3136[1].jpg
    Rick

Nice Steven! Covered in dust and up to your knees in shavings... thats what they are supposed to look like!

Here are a couple of pictures of my boys and my dad working on some "windows" for a built in cabinet. Had the boys working on chopping out bridle joints for the frames and then the assembly line work of mitred glass stops...