Thread: Veritas MKII Narrow blade clamping head.

Veritas MKII Narrow blade clamping head.

I have a Veritas MKII honing guide that I really like. One quibble is the less than secure manner in which narrow blades are clamped. I find that chisels for example are easily shifted out of square. I see they have a new narrow blade clamping head available. Any Creeker experiences to share? I may snag this during the free shipping period.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

It works very well with bench chisels. Very easy to set up.

One mod I made was to add 400 grit W&D to the faces of the clamp. This was not needed for bench chisels, but it was when honing mortice chisels, as their sides are mich higher than the clamp.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the narrow blade clamping head. It works fine.

Be aware that the cutting edge is always square, but the bevel itself never is. It is cockeyed on the high end of the bevel (end closest to the handle). I don't like it much, but it does not seem to effect performance. It is a known condition discussed in a note and picture at the very end of the instructions. Link.

No regrets buying it.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I have the narrow blade clamping head. It works fine.

Be aware that the cutting edge is always square, but the bevel itself never is. It is cockeyed on the high end of the bevel (end closest to the handle). I don't like it much, but it does not seem to effect performance. It is a known condition discussed in a note and picture at the very end of the instructions. Link.

No regrets buying it.
    Fred
    The issue with the secondary not being perfectly square to the primary isn't specific to the narrow head.

It's basically what they say: When the difference between the two angles is small it magnifies sensitivity to any imprecision in the guide. In this case rotating the cam mechanism to increase the honing angle for the secondary bevel lifts the left and right sides by slightly different amounts, probably because the eccentric hole in which the wheel shaft rides isn't perfectly consistent.

If you don't like that then the fix is to not use the cam mechanism to increase the angle for the secondary bevel - just retract the tool a bit instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    The issue with the secondary not being perfectly square to the primary isn't specific to the narrow head.

It's basically what they say: When the difference between the two angles is small it magnifies sensitivity to any imprecision in the guide. In this case rotating the cam mechanism to increase the honing angle for the secondary bevel lifts the left and right sides by slightly different amounts, probably because the eccentric hole in which the wheel shaft rides isn't perfectly consistent.

If you don't like that then the fix is to not use the cam mechanism to increase the angle for the secondary bevel - just retract the tool a bit instead
    Patrick - I am just anal enough that the skew of the micro bevel bothers me so I have been doing as you have suggested or freehanding, it is not always perfect but less irritating.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-04-2017 at 2:52 PM.

Rob, I also have the narrow blade clamping head...it works well.

I have no complaints with mine. One added bonus is that even though it's called the 'narrow blade' head, it still clamps up to 3/4" I believe, so you don't have to switch out the head much.

I could be wrong about the widest blade it clamps, but I'm sure it's 3/4" or more.

I pulled the trigger this morning. Time will tell!

Just following up.....

The clamping head works very well. I got inspired and sharpened up all my chisels, my shoulder plane, and a couple Block planes. My shoulder plane has never been sharper. I see how they’re supposed to work now!

it would not surprise me a bit if this were updated to accept an even wider blade and become the standard offering. It just works that well.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 12-03-2017 at 4:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Just following up.....

The clamping head works very well. I got inspired and sharpened up all my chisels, my shoulder plane, and a couple Block planes. My shoulder plane has never been sharper. I see how they’re supposed to work now!

it would not surprise me a bit if this were updated to accept an even wider blade and become the standard offering. It just works that well.
    It doesn't work for skewed irons/chisels. Perhaps less importantly, it doesn't work as precisely as the default clamp on un-bevelled, untapered chisels like some firmers and registered mortise chisels.

I think there's a lot of benefit to offering both top- and side-clamp heads for the guide.

Glad it works well for you Rob!
    Thanks for the follow-up.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”