Thread: Anyone try replacing a Lie Nielsen tote/knob with an old Stanley tote/knob?

Anyone try replacing a Lie Nielsen tote/knob with an old Stanley tote/knob?

Just wondering if it's possible, and if someone has tried it. I would go out to my shop and try it but can't get any shop time for the next few days and the thought is eating me up on the inside...

Blog Entries
    My experience would be limited and may be faulty due to it being a long time ago. The limiting factor is my only Lie Nielsen plane is a #1. The Stanley knob was from a #98 or #99. My recollection is the boss on the Lie Nielsen is smaller than the Boss on the Stanley plane. That may be different for different plane sizes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why would you do that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Why would you do that?
    My trial was just out of curiosity. The knobs on Stanley side rabbet planes are the same as the knob on a Stanley #1 smooth plane.

As for the OP, maybe they would like a rosewood knob on their LN plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My trial was just out of curiosity. The knobs on Stanley side rabbet planes are the same as the knob on a Stanley #1 smooth plane.

As for the OP, maybe they would like a rosewood knob on their LN plane.

jtk
    Ditto Jim. Just wondering if I can easily get a rosewood tote/knob on my LN planes...shop time is precious and I can't afford to spend time actually making new totes/knobs.

Biggest problem would be the bolts themselves.....not all makers use the same sized "bolts" that Stanley did. That, and the boss the handles fit onto, again some are larger that Stanley ones, some aren't. Totes sometimes have a "pin" for the toe to rest on, some use a bolt..and not always in the same places.

I run into the same problems, rehabbing Millers Falls, Sargent and Stanley planes. Another factor is in how tall the knob is. Will the existing bolt fit the "new" knob.

I have several LN planes with cocobolo (a form of rosewood) knobs. They were an option at one time. There also was a individual who made them as add-ons, named Greg Droz. Not sure if he still is around. LN planes do look great with the darker handles. If I remember correctly, cocobolo can become a health issue for those who handle it, and LN dropped the option for that reason.

Lie Nielsen dropped cocobolo becaue it got expensive and impossible import because of CITES import restrictions.