Thread: Increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with internal hood/hose

Increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with internal hood/hose

Anyone increase a tablesaw dust collection connection size on a saw with an internal hose and shroud? I have an ICS sawstop and it has the internal shroud and outside 4" port. I am thinking of bolting on a 6" or 8" nordfab angle flange adapter with the existing port inside it and then cutting additional half moon or some holes around where the flange hole will be but not enough to ruin the flange.

Anyone have other great ideas?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That's exactly what I did. I went 6" for the flange and riser, then 8" trunk. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go 8" all the way to the saw. It doesn't remove all the dust, but keeps it at bay. I haven't cleaned the saw base out in a couple years. I cut a crescent moon shape below the existing hole right down to the bottom of the cabinet.
    Last edited by jim mills; 11-03-2017 at 2:32 PM.

I'll need to do the same when I hook it all up. Additionally the cabinet will need extra air coming into it. I plan on cracking open either or both the motor cover or the smaller door on the opposite side of the saw until there is enough airflow. The safety switches will need to be held closed or bypassed. Once satisfied I'll either leave them propped open or cut a hole/holes equal in area to the "cracked" openings in the doors or cabinet.

I find this interesting and wonder about it. I have a Sawstop PCS and pull 670 cfm at 10.02" when connected to the 4" port. It does a very good job.

What kind of flow do people think is needed to do a good job of dust collection?

Pcs have the flex inside too to the shroud?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Pcs have the flex inside too to the shroud?
    Yes, they do.

7. In my experience good overhead extraction is at least as important, probably more, as airflow through the cabinet. So if you don't have a good overhead guard focus your energy there first IMO.

Cheers, Dom

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Dudkiewicz View Post
    In my experience good overhead extraction is at least as important, probably more, as airflow through the cabinet. Cheers, Dom
    This my experience also.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    This my experience also.
    Same here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!