Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal ducts seem cheaper than pvc. Am I missing something?

Cool Metal ducts seem cheaper than pvc. Am I missing something?

I know everyone says that pvc is cheaper than metal and easier to work with but as I have begun my search I am finding that 6in 26gauge 5ft metal ducts cost about 6.75 in my area where as a 10ft pvc green drain pipe at the blue store cost $35. Metal fittings are also 1/3 the price than pvc.

Am I missing something or is it just in my area it’s cheaper to go metal.

As far as working with metal, I really don’t see how much harder it will be to do a bit of snipping and foil tape wrap couplers. I am assuming everyone building a shop is handy so I can’t imagine the work being much more difficult than with pvc. Am I missing something

Finally going with metal I would not have to worry about that never ending debate whether or not garage will blow up because of static electricity

am I missing something?

thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by Rick Pinzon; 11-02-2017 at 2:48 PM.

"True DC" metal fittings (wyes, etc) are not inexpensive, but 26 gage snap-lock is pretty cost effective. It's also available in sizes you can't get in plastic.

That said, there's already a lot of discussion on this topic here including this very recent thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ollection-pipe
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Based on my research you are correct once you get to 6". However, Menards (somehow) has 6" pvc for $11/10ft. Everywhere else is what you quoted but I've looked multiple times at Menards and they have it way cheaper.

Go with metal. I didnt even consider PVC. It was just too convenient to order everything I needed from Oneida.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Go with PVC. I considered metal from Oneida and it was at least twice as expensive. I bought my DWV PVC from Menards as well as the fittings.

Metal all the way. Blastgate Co has everything you need http://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-and-Fittings.php

Pricing from local HVAC dealers can also be pretty competitive but they don't typically stock the more esoteric collector fittings such as stamped elbows, reducer wyes, etc.

I bought 6" and 4" S&D PVC from a large commercial plumbing supplier for far, far less than that price. They even let me pick through a pile of damaged pipe and take what I could use.

I've done round metal ducting for HVAC and I didn't find it the least bit difficult, probably about the same effort as working with PVC.

JKJ

I used metal. Mainly because of cost, but also weight. Another thing was blast gates. Most seem to make their own blast gates when using PVC. I bought the Lee Valley blast gates and very happy with them. I installed mine above and usuall need to do these things myself. I used 30 ga because of cost. However I did test before installing as to the possibility of collapsing is known to happen with 30 ga. Here are the threads to my testing; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...pse&highlight=, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing&highlight=
    30 gauge duct was no problem for me. You need to use plywood rings, but these made nice hangers for the duct. If redoing I might use 26 gauge straight pipe depending on cost difference, but would still use 30'gauge fittings. I vent outside, so no filter. My system is about as inexpensive as you can get at about $800 total. It works for me.

IMG_1089.JPG
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

There are tons of levels of metal ductwork.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Another vote for metal (I am a retired sheet metal worker. So I made my own wyes)
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I got quotes for PVC here for 6"and 8" thin wall PVC. The 6" was $10Can to $16Can a foot and the 8" was $16Can to $24Can a foot. An 8" to 6" wye was from $100Can to $360Can each because they are made to order. The Norfab type started at $10Can+ for 6" pipe and the spiral stuff started at $3.50Can+ for the 6" pipe. I don't remember what fittings were going to cost but they were up there. I'm just about ready to cut down trees and train a beaver to chew out the centre. Darn they are all sleeping in their lodges now. I'll have to wait for spring.

I bought my DWV pipe and fittings from Menards and was much cheaper. The 6" by 10 ft pipe was about $25 and I wait until they have a 11% off sale.

It really does not matter if you use plastic or metal pipe. Either will work fine just have to consider costs and and how easy it is to work with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    An 8" to 6" wye was from $100Can to $360Can each because they are made to order.
    Interesting. These are off-the-shelf items in the lower 48. It sounds like where you are buying certainly has to be figured into what you are buying in order to make the best decision. I do notice the 8" couplings really jump in price.

wye-6.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-05-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you all for the feedback. I will update when I figure out what direction I will go. I definitely learned the there is a difference between hvac wyes and dust collector wyes. If I can successfully reverse the male and female ends by stretching and crimping would there be any other issues with using hvac wyes? $60-$70 per dust collection wye vs $15 hvac wyes adds up $

Rick, I did do the "reversing" thing once and while it was doable, the result wasn't quite as good as a purpose built DC wye, although it was certainly a lot less expensive. There are a number of online sources for the DC wyes, so it's worth investigating who has better prices in the moment sometimes. The DC wyes also tend to be "gentler" sometimes and offer more combinations for flexibility. I've also found that the HVAC stuff requires a lot more work to seal...it seems they just slap the things together and don't worry about leakage...which makes sense for a positive pressure situation since any heated or cooled are that leaks still benefits the structure. DC purpose is less tolerant of that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...