Thread: Wood shop drum sander

Wood shop drum sander

Good morning all. Has anyone ever had any luck getting a local cabinet shop or wood shop to run a project through their 36" drum sander / timesaver? If so, do they charge. I am in Minneapolis if anyone knows a local shop...

Thanks folks.

Mitch - I usually go to my local hardwood dealer and they charge me a nominal fee for milling services (to include planing, jointing, sanding, etc). My orders are pretty small, so they have to fit me in between their larger commercial orders, so it sometimes takes a few days. On the other hand, I've walked in on some days and they are able to mill some boards I purchased there before I leave.

I also have a good friend who owns a cabinet shop. The basic answer is "Yes" you can certainly approach them. Many shops have some downtime between large projects and can fit in small orders for a nominal fee.

It is also a good way to make friends in the woodworking trade. The more folks you know, the easier it is to source lumber, parts and services...

TedP

Mitchell I had some panels sanded at a place in Burnsville couple 2-3 years ago. I think the name was American woodworking shop. There a shop that rents customers-members shop space or time on there machines. I don't know if there in business anymore or not. It was located off Highway 13 and Cliff road. Good Luck Mike O'Keefe

I work at a place called forest products supply in Maplewood we have a 50" 3-head wide belt sander for $35 min/$70 hr that we can sand for you