Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commodity grade Japanese chisels.

Thanks Ken. I put a little time into them and have the backs pretty much flattened ( they needed some serious work). A bit of time on a polishing stone and I'll be ready to work on the bevels. That Steel is indeed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bridger,

Come by, I expect I have what you are looking for.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Thanks Ken. I put a little time into them and have the backs pretty much flattened ( they needed some serious work). A bit of time on a polishing stone and I'll be ready to work on the bevels. That Steel is indeed hard.
    Bridger,

Good to hear, yeah IIRC I was trying to figure out a way to machine flatten backs and because they were cheap they were the ones used. Anyway good to hear they are working out for you.

ken

Oh, FWIW, I'd recommend that you find your favorite sized chisel, and buy the best one you can justify in that size.
    I used to be a bottom feeder, until I started trying Stan's recommendations....what a difference!
    You may also want to check in with Stan too. While he has great taste and some of the tools are pretty spendy, he also knows a few "bang for the buck" smiths that make a good, honest, not fancy chisel. The ones that he got me are dermatome sharp, stay sharp, and are a pleasure to use...no mokume, not a hollywood famous smith, but a very well made chisel.
    If you want to keep checking ebay, you might want to follow kanomiya (iida tools). He has good stuff and is honest in his dealings.

I got the backs done today. Some interesting things:
    I needed to remove quite a bit of metal. A little work with the hand crank grinder, a lot of work with the dmt extra coarse then up through the grits in diamond to 3000, completely removing the previous scratch pattern. From there I played a bit with natural stones, arks and coticules but not too effective with that hard Steel. Sooo..... break out the synthetic waterstones. I'm not a big Fan, but with careful discipline about grit contamination I went through the Norton progression from 4000 to 12000. At 12000 the dmt extra coarse pattern showed back up. It had been gone from the time I went to 600 diamond. Fortunately I was able to polish it out at 12000 though it took a little extra time on the stones. I guess coarse diamond scratches propagate down below the surface of the steel or something. Interesting.

Bevels are next. Is there a consensus regarding optimum angles for flat bevel laminated Japanese chisels for use in North American domestic hardwoods?