Thread: Which Tools?

Which Tools?

I'd like to have a couple gouges and probably a V gouge and I'm having problems finding information on specific sizes. I'd like to be able to carve spoons, small scoops, letters, and use the V gouge to carve the outline to knots and things. I've read that letters can be carved with a 14mm #7 straight gouge and a 3/4" chisel. Is that accurate for the most part? I'd also like to get a 35mm #7 straight gouge. How about this V gouge? Any recommended reading is also welcome. Thanks for any help!

For spoons a a 7-35 is used by some, others use hook knives for that. For the lettering, there are a couple schools of thought. School 1: Many many tools so you can fit each curve exactly for any size lettering you commonly do. Advantage is you have the largest took that matches the cut you need and you end up with cleaner letters. Disadvantage is cost. School 2: Two or three gouges and a flat chisel and learn to make them do everything. Advantage: cost. Disadvantage: At times it's nicer to have the correctly sized tool. For instance a straight line is optimally done with a tool the length of the line rather than a shorter tool with multiple cuts to cover the distance.

Here is a video of the carver that does good work with the second method. http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/...carving-basics

Chris Pye is a member of the first school and Nora Hall was as well, but here style for lettering differed from Chris's if I recall correctly.

For a v-tool, a 60 degree 8 or 10 mm is a nice first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren West View Post
    For spoons a a 7-35 is used by some, others use hook knives for that. For the lettering, there are a couple schools of thought. School 1: Many many tools so you can fit each curve exactly for any size lettering you commonly do. Advantage is you have the largest took that matches the cut you need and you end up with cleaner letters. Disadvantage is cost. School 2: Two or three gouges and a flat chisel and learn to make them do everything. Advantage: cost. Disadvantage: At times it's nicer to have the correctly sized tool. For instance a straight line is optimally done with a tool the length of the line rather than a shorter tool with multiple cuts to cover the distance.

Here is a video of the carver that does good work with the second method. http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/...carving-basics

Chris Pye is a member of the first school and Nora Hall was as well, but here style for lettering differed from Chris's if I recall correctly.

For a v-tool, a 60 degree 8 or 10 mm is a nice first one.
    Thanks for the feedback. I've watched that Fine Woodworking video a couple of times and figured with practice I could adapt since the cost of entry is high.