Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket hole issue

rabbet the sides for all parts, glue and staple. Nothing shows and its strong. I have melmine shop cabinets that came with a machine here put together with pocket screws probably took just as long or longer to do.

Thanks, Warren.

All of this great advice is for the next time since the carcass is already built and "good enough" for now.
    I do have other things that all this information will be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    The "measure three times" thing could be a little misleading in this case. I think all he means is to take care when setting the depth stop on the drill bit the one time for the job. If you drill the 1/2" material, then the screw has a 1/4" more material for travel in the thicker part. The best thing to do is to drill a joint or two in some identical scrap to dial in the depth setting and ensure no poke through.
    This is exactly what I was referring to. The drilling depty tolerance with 1/2" material is "really small"...and yea...test with scrap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now disassemble your cabinet and put it back together using the pocket hole screws to hold it together "until the glue dries". I have never trusted the holding power of pocket hole screws alone, but they sure speed up a glued together assembly by eliminating the clamps and the need for doing sub-assemblies and waiting several times for the glue on the sub-assemblies to dry before doing the final assembly and glue-up.

Charley

May not be a bad suggestion and one I will definitely consider.
    Thanks
    As well as drilling through the thinner and fastening to the thicker

My priority over the next few days is getting the coal stove hooked up first.

Winter's coming.